Education Strategic Plan (2012–2014)
In developing the ACS Education Strategic Plan, we recognize that all ACS education programs, products, and services should be built upon the unique expertise of the Society and its members. The Education Division has unique expertise and leverage that comes from its staff, governance members, and networks that cannot be replicated by any single institution or combination of institutions. We offer a suite of programs that take advantage of our distinctive role and scale, and which adds value to chemistry education and the broader science education community.
Our plan aligns with goal 3 of the ACS Strategic Plan for 2012 and Beyond to “Foster the development of the most innovative, relevant, and effective chemistry education in the world.”
The five goals of the ACS Education Strategic Plan — resources, communities, professional development, standards and guidelines, and operational excellence — reflect the responsiveness of the Division in meeting the needs of the changing chemistry enterprise.
To serve as the premier resource for U.S. chemistry education in order to ensure that our students are the best prepared in the world.
To serve learners and educators by building communities and providing effective chemistry education products, services and information.
- To provide unique and high-quality educational resources that inform and set the standard for chemistry education in both content and instructional approach
Teaching and learning chemistry in the context of our world is a hallmark of the resources produced by the ACS Education Division. Textbooks, magazines, and online resources embody this approach while incorporating activity-based learning. Students and educators know that the ACS brand is synonymous with quality. ACS also gathers data and publishes reports that inform the community about issues and trends in chemical education.
- To connect learners and educators in ways that lead to professional growth, exchange of knowledge, and interaction with the broader scientific community
The chemistry community is a rich resource of information, insights, and inspiration. By providing a series of activities that complement formal programs of study, the ACS Education Division engages high school students, undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and educators in national and local networks and competitive programs that encourage them to explore and excel in the chemical sciences.
- To provide professional development opportunities that equip educators with the skills, knowledge, and strategies needed to provide quality education in chemistry
Professional development activities based on demonstrated effective practices equip chemical educators to promote learning and understanding among the students they serve. The ACS Education Division provides and promotes a robust suite of offerings—developed in conjunction with experts in the community— that support the ongoing development of educators throughout their careers.
- To promote the quality of education in chemistry and chemistry-related fields by supporting the development, dissemination, and adoption of guidelines, policies, and standards and the evaluation of compliance with those guidelines
Guidelines and performance standards promote excellence by defining the expectations for students as learners, faculty and teachers as educators, and administrators as supporters of the educational infrastructure. The process of developing standards engages the education community in the discussion of the attributes that are hallmarks of excellence and encourages program self-evaluation in reference to these characteristics. By disseminating nationally accepted standards and providing tools to evaluate performance against those standards, the ACS Education Division provides educators with mechanisms to ensure that students at all levels obtain the best possible preparation in chemistry.
- To enhance operational excellence by strengthening infrastructure, collaborating, and incorporating best practices
Strategic investment of resources ensures that new and existing programs, products, and services will be of high-quality, benefit the community, and fulfill the ACS Vision, Mission and Charter. Evaluating and improving processes fosters a culture of continuous improvement. Effective use of technology, enhancement of staff skills, and development of partnerships extend the reach and impact of the ACS Education Division.
The ACS Education Division embraces these values amongst ourselves and the community we serve.
Defined by representatives from all areas of the Education Division, these values are identified as “the set of core principles and beliefs that guides the decision-making process and influences behaviors, actions, and attitudes.”
- I │ Innovation
- Embracing and implementing new ideas and opportunities for increasing the efficiency, effectiveness, and reach of programs, products, and services.
- E │Equity
- Ensuring that all community members have a voice and are given equal and respectful consideration, irrespective of their status, position or tenure.
- D │ Diversity
- Valuing and understanding how our uniqueness fosters an environment for exchanging ideas, pursuing opportunities, and connecting with each other and those we serve.
- U │ Unity
- Reconciling different priorities, needs, and abilities in a way that encourages coordination and capitalizes on our resources and talents.
- C │ Communication
- Sharing and listening to information to promote an effective process that drives knowledge, understanding, action, and engagement.
- A │ Appreciation
- Acknowledging the skills, expertise, and professional accomplishments of all staff and volunteers, and expressing gratitude for contributions large and small.
- T │Trustworthiness
- Upholding our dependable reputation by fulfilling our commitments with honesty, integrity, and accuracy.
- E │ Excellence
- Striving to provide the highest quality resources and services that meet the needs of our community and utilize exemplary work practices.