Committee on Chemical Safety
Welcome to the Committee on Chemical Safety (CCS)! CCS promotes and facilitates safe practices in chemical activities. We provide advice and counsel to ensure safety by calling attention to potential hazards and stimulating education in safe chemical practices. CCS also serves as a resource to other ACS units on matters related to chemical safety and health.
Here you will find publications, tips, and other information to improve safety in schools, the workplace, and beyond.
News & Announcements
- The ACS Committee on Professional Training (CPT) will be releasing new Guidelines for Undergraduate programs in December 2014. In concert with that release, which will contain “upgraded” safety requirements for undergraduate programs and their ACS-certified graduates, the “Fall 2014 CPT Newsletter” contains articles about safety education. This is a widely-distributed newsletter that the CPT has devoted a relatively large footprint about safety, safety culture and safety instruction. This article aligns well with the CCS Task Force report on "Creating Safety Culture in Academic Institutions.” This article was written by George Wilson from the CPT with considerable input from CCS member Dave Finster and CCS liaison John Palmer.
- Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories
The Committee on Chemical Safety has released the draft of the guide on “Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories.” These guidelines were developed in response to the Chemical Safety Board recommendation to develop good practice guidance that identifies and describes methodologies to assess and control hazards and that can be used successfully in research laboratories.
- Laboratory Waste Management Guidebook, 2nd edition, release
Written by a group of experts in the field and compiles everything laboratory staff needs to know about waste management.
- Chemical Laboratory Safety and Security: A Guide to Prudent Chemical Management
This publication and accompanying tool kit will assist chemists in developing countries to increase the level of lab safety and security through chemicals management and best laboratory practices.
- Safety in the Academic Chemistry Laboratory now available in Arabic!
The committee is pleased to offer the Arabic translation of Safety in the Academic Chemistry Laboratory. We extend a special thanks to Akram Amir El-Ali, Department of Chemistry at Umm Al-Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia for translating and adopting SACL into Arabic language.
- Chemical Safety Blog!
The Safety Zone blog covers chemical safety issues in academic and industrial research labs and manufacturing. The blog is a place for exchange and discussion of lab and plant safety and accident information.
- Laboratory Safety Quiz
The report provides guidance, suggestions, examples, and recommendations that will help strengthen the safety culture in two- and four-year undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral programs. It identifies:
- Elements and best practices of a good safety culture
- Recommendations for use in universities and colleges
- Tools and resources to strengthen your safety culture