ACS Committee on Council Policy
Duties and Responsibilities
Per the ACS Constitution and Bylaws, the Council Policy Committee (CPC) serves as the Executive Committee of the Council and its duties include the following:
- Planning the general agenda for each Council meeting
- Planning the detailed agenda required to facilitate effective action by the Council
- Acting ad interim for the Council as authorized by the Council or the Bylaws
- Nominating voting Councilors for membership on the Committee on Nominations and Elections
- Conducting long-range planning studies concerning the future of the Society
- Investigating allegations of improper election procedures in District or national elections and determining if violations have occurred; setting aside results of such an election when it finds sufficient cause; submitting charges of conduct as defined in the Constitution, Article IV, Sec.3, when it has reason to believe that significant election procedure violations have occurred
- Serving as an appeals board for any member or candidate dissatisfied with an admission-related action of the Committee on Membership Affairs
The committee’s membership includes the ACS President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, Executive Director and 12 elected members. The President serves as Chair of the committee, and a Vice Chair is elected among its members. The Secretary of the Society serves as the Secretary of the committee.
The committee also includes as non-voting members the following: chairs of the Elected Committees, the Council Standing Committees, and the Society Committees.
Subcommittees & Task Force
- Constitution & Bylaws
- Long-Range Planning
- Task Force on Roles and Responsibilities
Services and Projects
The Council Policy Committee serves Councilors by:
- New! Strategy CafÉ Toolkit – The Strategy CafÉ was designed by the Council Policy Committee as an opportunity to engage ACS members in conversation about the important strategic goals of the Society and to enable them to get involved in making them a reality. Local Section leaders can use the Toolkit slides and outline to facilitate such a program. Please email questions to email@example.com.
- Presenting an annual orientation for new Councilors at the spring national meeting
- Offering a handbook of information for Councilors
- Providing input on strategic initiatives to the Board Committee on Planning through the CPC Vice Chair
- Organizing dialogues on the strategic plan and other information at Councilor Caucuses
- Overseeing the New Councilor Mentoring Program
- Encouraging Councilor participation in its networking group on the ACS Network
- Communicating committee initiatives and projects through the Councilor Bulletin
- Providing policies and guidelines for Council committee chairs on reporting to Council and drafting C&EN Comments (CPC Policy on Reports to ACS Council, Guidelines for Visual Presentations to Council and CPC Policy on Comments by Committee Chairs)
For more information or any questions about the Council Policy Committee, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-872-4461. For information regarding the Council including the agenda and Councilor travel reimbursement information, please visit www.acs.org/councilors.