About the Committee
Nomenclature, Terminology, and Symbols
The Committee examines problems and monitors developments in nomenclature, terminology and symbols, coordinates the activities of divisional and other committees dealing with such matters within the Society, advises and consults with editors of Society publications in matters related to nomenclature, terminology and symbols, acts for the Council in the consideration and action on such documents and proposals presented to the Society, acts for the Council in providing liaison in matters of these issues with non-Society organizations, and makes recommendations to the Council in matters related to these issues.
The Committee strives to serve the Members of ACS in matters of Nomenclature, Terminology and Symbols by:
- Maintaining a Committee membership that is expert in various fields of nomenclature, terminology and symbols;
- Providing leadership in the field of nomenclature, terminology and symbols and cooperating with both national and international terminology committees through joint membership and other forms of participation by committee members;
- Presenting a Committee web page which can serve as a starting point for information on matters relating to nomenclature, terminology and symbols;
- Supporting ACS publications, including C&EN, and ACS membership by providing guidance in matters of nomenclature, terminology and symbols;
- Expanding membership on the Committee to include individuals active in pre-college education.
- The Committee has established an Operating Manual for the benefit of its new and continuing members as well as other interested parties.
For further information:
Molly A. Strausbaugh — ACS Staff Liaison
The Committee also maintains a group on the ACS Network to enable timely communication within the Committee members and with ACS Members with an interest in nomenclature, terminology, and symbols in the context of the chemical sciences.