Governing Board for Publishing
In 1996, the ACS Board of Directors established the Governing Board for Publishing and delegated to it the general responsibility and authority for the operations and performance of Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) and the ACS Publications Division except for the appointment of editors and editorial content of journals and magazines.
The membership of the Governing Board consists of no more than ten (10) members as follows:
- Chair of the ACS Board of Directors
- ACS Executive Director & CEO - Chair of the Governing Board for Publishing
- President of CAS (or that person responsible for CAS reporting directly to the ACS Executive Director & CEO)
- President of the Publications Division (or that person responsible for the Publications Division reporting directly to the ACS Executive Director & CEO)
- Two individuals with senior management experience relevant to the operations of Chemical Abstracts Service, only one of whom may be a SOCIETY member, but not a member of the ACS Board of Directors
- Two members of the SOCIETY with executive experience (one from industry and one from academia) but who are not members of the ACS Board of Directors
- Two individuals with senior management experience relevant to the operations of the Publications Division, only one of whom may be a SOCIETY member, but not a member of the ACS Board of Directors
- Notwithstanding these Regulations, if the Governing Board for Publishing determines at any time that its deliberations would benefit from additional expertise or perspective, it may ask the Board of Directors to appoint (or reappoint) an individual with this expertise or perspective as a voting member of the Governing Board for a one to four year term, even if the appointment should increase the number of members temporarily to eleven.
The following individuals are members of the Governing Board for Publishing:
- Madeleine Jacobs, Executive Director & CEO - Chair, Governing Board for Publishing
- William F. Carroll, Jr., Chair, ACS Board of Directors
- Robert J. Massie, President, Chemical Abstracts Service
- Brian D. Crawford, President, ACS Publications Division
- Jane N. Ryland, President Emerita, CAUSE
- Eric Schrier, Former President & CEO, Readers Digest Association, Inc.
- Gary B. Schuster, Dean, College of Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology
- John R. Sack, Associate Publisher and Director, HighWire Press – Stanford University Libraries
- Jay Jordan, President & CEO, Online Computer Library Center, Inc. (OCLC)
- Paul S. Anderson, Former Senior Vice-President of Chemical and Physical Sciences, DuPont-Merck Pharmaceuticals Co.; ACS President in 1997