Job Hunting and Career Skills
Job hunting can be exciting and intimidating at the same time. Having the right tools can help you conduct a focused and low-stress search.
Crafting a Solid Résumé
A résumé serves a single but key purpose: to grant you an audience with a potential employer. It’s essential, then, that your résumé makes it clear how and why your skills and experience meet the requirements of the job description.
Ace the Interview
Most of us dread job interviews. They make us feel uneasy, possibly downright anxious. But it really doesn’t have to be this way. Being well prepared for an interview can give you the confidence and competitive advantage it takes to stand out as a competent and trustworthy professional – the kind employers like to hire.
Know Who You Are: Assess Your Interests and Skills
Take Advantage of Career Consulting
- Personal Career Consulting
Do you need help with looking for your first job, creating a résumé or honing your interview skills? The ACS Career Consultants Program (CCP) offers personalized consulting to help you succeed. Volunteers are ready to assist you via email and/or phone with almost any career question you might have.
- ACS Career Consultants Officer Tips on How to Find an Entry-Level Position in Challenging Economic Times
- ACS Career Consultants: Career Advice Is Yours for the Asking
Writing & Public Speaking
- Webinar: Writing Tips
Expert advice for writing grants, proposals, papers, business letters, email etiquette, etc.
- Speaking Tips
Identify and quash your, uh, credibility killers!
- Join Toastmasters
Toastmasters' specific purpose is to improve the communication, public speaking and leadership skills of its members.
- Are People Hearing What You Are Saying?
Build better relationships by understanding how to handle different communication styles.
Technical Writing: How to Simplify Sentences
- What Recruiters Are Looking For — Making the “A” List
- *Special Broadcast* Secrets from the Other Side – What Recruiters Know that You Don’t
- Secrets from the Other Side – What Recruiters Know that You Don’t
- One Size Does Not Fit All – Five Tips to Make the Right Career Choice
- The Introverts (and Shy Guys and Gals) Guide to Success in Science and Leadership
- How to Secure and Nurture a Vibrant Chemistry Career in the 21st Century (ACS Membership required to view this webinar)
- What you need to know about Chemistry and the Economy! Secrets to finding hidden opportunities