Frequently Asked Questions: Preparing for the ACS Leadership Institute
What is the ACS Leadership Institute?
- The Leadership Institute is an annual invitation-only conference where ACS leaders come together to learn both management and leadership skills to enable them to be successful leaders within the American Chemical Society.
- Concurrent Sessions have been developed for the following groups of leaders: Division Leaders, Local Section Leaders, New National Committee Chairs, Student Leaders, Younger Chemists Leaders.
What is the goal of the Institute?
The goal of the Leadership Institute is to support and enhance the creation of ACS leaders. Attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Learn their new volunteer role responsibilities;
- Share best practices;
- Develop leadership and management skills;
- Foster new peer-to-peer networks;
- Understand the ACS structure and operations; and
- Identify key support contacts.
When and where is the Institute?
- January 23-25, 2015
- InterContinental Dallas Hotel 15201 Dallas Parkway, Dallas, TX 75001, 1-972-386-6000. ACS will reserve all hotel rooms and provide you with a hotel confirmation number. Please do not contact the hotel directly.
- The Institute begins Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. and ends Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
- Registration will open at 10:00 a.m. on Friday Morning, Jan. 23rd.
How do I register for the Institute, reserve my hotel room, and make travel arrangements?
- Registration is now open. Please do so by clicking here
- Before you begin your registration please review the ACS Leadership Development System course descriptions to determine which courses you would like to take at the Institute.
- Access the Leadership Institute Registration and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When registering for the Institute, you will be asked to submit your housing requirements (and any food restrictions). ACS will reserve all hotel rooms and provide you with a hotel confirmation number. Please do not contact the hotel directly.
- If you need to make changes to your registration or housing request contact email@example.com.
- Each attendee is responsible for making his/her own air travel arrangements. Delegates may choose to arrive/depart from Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) International Airport or Dallas Love Field (DAL).
- Round-trip shuttle service to the Dallas Intercontinental Hotel will be available from both Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Dallas Love Field (DAL). You may choose to take an alternate form of transportation to the hotel at your own expense.
What tracks are offered at the Leadership Institute?
Depending on the leadership role, delegates register for one of five tracks. The content in each track is tailored to meet the specific needs of each group. The track content is designed to prepare leaders by covering the “nuts & bolts” training needed to effectively manage their groups. Track content from the 2014 Leadership Institute included:
What is the Leadership Development System?
- The ACS Leadership Development System ® (ACS LDS) is a comprehensive set of facilitated and on-line leadership courses that were developed to help you be more effective in your professional and volunteer positions. The curriculum of courses was built on the main competencies for success at every level of leadership experience. Therefore, whether you are new to a leadership role or a veteran leader, there are courses focused on your level of experience and the skills appropriate to a specific leadership role. This building block approach ensures that as your knowledge and experience grows; there will be the appropriate courses to keep you expanding your leadership.
- All Leadership Institute attendees should take the ACS and You course before coming to the Institute. This is an online course and should take about 30-45 minutes to complete. It explains the mission, vision, and structure of the American Chemical Society.
How do I determine which leadership courses are right for me?
- Review the course descriptions to determine which courses are best for your leadership development
- Choose two 4-hour leadership courses or the 8-hour Extraordinary Leader Workshop unless your session leaders have already pre-arranged for you to be in specific course.
- You will receive a confirmation email(s) with the name of the course(s) for which you registered as well as the room location.
Who will I meet during the ACS Leadership Institute?
- Members of the ACS Presidential Succession
- Members of the ACS Board of Directors
- ACS Local Section Leaders
- ACS Division Leaders & Program Chairs
- National Committee Chairs
- Younger Chemists Leaders
- ACS Student Leaders
- ACS Staff
What should I wear and what materials should I bring to the Institute?
- The attire for the weekend is business casual.
- Hotel meeting rooms are often cool, you may wish to bring a sweater or light jacket.
- All course and track materials will be provided during each session.
We look forward to seeing you at the 2015 ACS Leadership Institute!