Organize a Chemists Celebrate Earth Day Event
No matter how small or large your community, you will find suggestions that will fit with your targeted audience. Find information on fundraising, promoting your events, and more.
Ideas for CCED Events
- Outreach friendly activities aligned to the "Climate Science" theme
- With your ACS Local Section, promote and carry out a CCED Illustrated Poem Contest for K-12th grade students.
- CCED 2015 Illustrated Poem Contest Entry Form
- CCED 2015 Illustrated Poem Contest Sample Flyer (coming soon)
- Participate in the CCED Community Event and the CCED Youth Activity Patch initiatives.
- Speak to members of a local club, school, or other organization and explain how chemistry relates to your career.
- Arrange seminars and workshops to engage employees of local industries in discussions about the role chemistry plays in their profession. If you work for a chemical company read about ways your company can participate in CCED.
Tips and Timeline for Organizing a Successful CCED Event
Before Your Event
- Recruit and adequately train your volunteers.
- Request permission from potential venues (local school, library, museum, etc.) to host an event.
- Learn about event insurance coverage and request a certificate of insurance from ACS.
- Obtain photo release forms from partnering schools and other youth groups.
- In this helpful fundraising guide, find ideas for funding sources, sample fundraising letters, acknowledgement letters, and more.
During Your Event
- Disseminate CCED-themed merchandise and hard copies of Celebrating Chemistry to attendees. These products can be purchased through the ACS Store.
- Distribute surveys (available in English and en Español) for attendees to complete to measure public impact and awareness.
- Don’t forget to thank volunteers for pitching in their time and resources for ensuring that your CCED event is a success.
Following Your Event
- Share the success of your event through local section newsletters, print, and social media (Facebook and ACS Network).
- You may also send certificates of participation to attendees.
- Your local section or division can compete for a ChemLuminary Award! These ChemLuminary rubrics outline how relevant Chemluminary Award nominations are evaluated.
Promote Your Event!
Following are ways generate excitement among your volunteer base and engage large numbers of your community!
- Reach out to ChemClubs, Student Chapters, and local businesses to participate in or sponsor your event(s).
- Use social media to post events on your website.
- List your event through the ACS Event Locator.
- Publicize your event with local schools, universities, and other local press.