Chemistry Patch List of Activities
Complete two activities from any category (A-D) from the list below to qualify for one of the annual theme-related chemistry patches.
Category A: Serving the Community
- Clean up a local park, stream or roadway, and discuss the chemistry involved.
- Beautify the community by planting trees or flowers.
- Conduct an athletic equipment, soap, or food drive for a local food bank or charity.
- Prepare a presentation about chemistry’s positive role in an environmental factor (i.e. water testing, monitoring the weather, testing soil or air) and present to a community group.
- Conduct hands-on activities for younger children related to the CCED or NCW theme.
Category B: Learning about Chemistry
- Arrange a tour of a chemical plant or facility with a member of the ACS local section.
- Invite an ACS local section member to speak at an activity or event, to discuss the chemistry behind things that people use every day and the connections to the environment.
- Choose an aspect of chemistry related to the theme and visit a museum that has an exhibit on this topic.
- Adopt a stream and learn about the important chemistry in streams or conduct a recycling campaign and learn about the process of recycling materials (i.e. glass, aluminum, plastic, yard waste).
- Explore the ACS website and write a short essay about an interesting topic.
Category C: Having Fun with Chemistry
- Sponsor a booth/table at a CCED or NCW event to present “hands-on” science activities, have a temporary tattoo or face-painting table at a CCED or NCW event and explain the chemistry.
- Help promote CCED or NCW activities at an ACS local section event by carrying signs advertising the event at a strategic location, e.g. at the entrance, or inside the lobby of a mall/museum to direct people to the right level/location within the building.
- Enter the nationally sponsored CCED or NCW K-12 poem contests through your ACS local section.
- Attend local section activities.
Category D: Learning about Careers in Chemistry
- Write an essay or draw a poster that tells about, or depicts a famous chemist.
- Invite local chemists to a group meeting to tell about what they do at work.
- Partner with your ACS local section members to provide “job shadow” opportunities for a designated day during or close to the dates for CCED or NCW.
- Review the NCW Celebrating Chemistry publication entitled “The Many Faces of Chemistry” and its profiles of 10 different chemists. Create a profile of a chemist in your area.