ACS Science Coaches–How to Partner with a Teacher
Have a Teacher in Mind?
Request to meet the teacher to discuss volunteering in the classroom. These talking points are helpful hints to suggest ways to provide support and assistance.
How Can a Chemist Find a Teacher?
To locate a teacher, schedule an in-person meeting with a school principal. The principal may suggest a teacher who could be a good fit. The first attempt to locate an interested teacher may be unsuccessful and contacting multiple schools may be necessary.
- Introduce yourself and share your motivation for offering to assist
- Describe the ACS Science Coaches program and list the expectations
- Provide examples of how you could assist
- Ask what topics or concepts are covered in science at this grade level
- Ask the teacher what he or she might like you to do
- Explain that each of you will need to describe briefly how you plan to work together throughout the year in a proposal to the ACS Science Coaches program
- If the proposal is accepted, ACS donates $500 to the school
- In your discussion with the principal or teacher, consider reasons they may choose to participate in the ACS Science Coaches program