ACS Science Coaches–How to Partner with a Teacher
Have a Teacher in Mind?
Request to meet the teacher to discuss volunteering in the classroom. These talking points are helpful hints to suggest ways to provide support and assistance.
How Can a Chemist Find a Teacher?
To locate a teacher, schedule an in-person meeting with a school principal. During the meeting, use talking points to explain the benefits of ACS Science Coaches. If interested in program participation, the principal may suggest a teacher who could be a good fit.
A chemist will have a productive and personally satisfying volunteer experience at a school where both the teacher and principal are excited about the opportunity to work with a Science Coach.
If a school does not wish to work with a Science Coach, try again at another school.
- Introduce yourself and share your motivation for offering to assist
- Describe the ACS Science Coaches program and list the expectations
- Provide examples of how you could assist
- Ask what topics or concepts are covered in science at this grade level
- Ask the teacher what s/he might like you to do
- Explain that each of you will need to describe briefly how you plan to work together throughout the year in a proposal to the ACS Science Coaches program
- If the proposal is accepted, ACS will donate $500 to the school
- In your discussion with the principal or teacher, consider reasons they may choose to participate in the ACS Science Coaches program
Contact us at email@example.com