Chocolate: The New Health Food. Or Is It?
Teacher-Led Discussion Ideas
Use Think-Pair-Share to involve all students in the discussions. First ask students to think about the questions silently, then ask them to share their ideas with a neighbor. Finally, discuss their answers as a class.
Conversation Starters (10-15 minutes).
A brief set of discussion questions to get students talking about chocolate.
- Ask students if they like chocolate. Does any student not like chocolate?
- What is their favorite way to eat chocolate?
- Can they describe specifically what they enjoy about eating it?
- What physical or chemical properties of chocolate could contribute to the experience of eating it?
- Do they think chocolate is healthy? Ask them to explain their ideas.
What Do We Know About Chocolate? (Worksheet 1) Part 1 (10-15 minutes).
Students consider what they already know about chocolate, and in Part 2 they compare their ideas to information from the article.