Teacher's Guides By Article
- Eating with Your Eyes: The Chemistry of Food Colorings
Much of the food we eat contains either natural or artificial food colorings. What is the difference between these two types of food colorings, and how is food colored?
- Tooth Decay: A Delicate Balance
What is the process that keeps teeth hard as rock despite the constant presence of bacteria in our mouths, and what goes wrong during tooth decay?
- Probiotics: Good Bacteria, Good Health
Not all bacteria are bad. Some of them--probiotic bacteria--are essential to human digestion, provide energy, and back up the immune system.
- Dirt? Who Needs It? How Hydroponics Is Poised to Change the World
Hydroponics, a type of agriculture that does not use soil, may offer an alternative to traditional agriculture to feed an ever-inccreasing world population.
- Light in the Cellar of the Sea
The deep sea is a place of bone-chilling water and near-total darkness. Yet, marine organisms emit light to either find food or attract prey.