Grants and Funding for Two-Year Colleges
Grants and other funding can help support and grow programs and activities. They can also provide extra visibility and credibility both inside and outside of your institution.
The funding opportunities listed below are either targeted for or available to two-year colleges. In most cases, faculty apply for the grants and administer them if awarded.
Funding for student activities
- ACS Student Chapter Starter Grants for Two-Year Colleges
Up to $500 to start or reactivate an ACS student chapter at a two-year college
- ACS Student Chapter Grants
A variety of funding opportunities for existing ACS student chapters
- Funding and scholarships for students
Compilation of funding options for two-year college chemistry students
Grants for programs or projects
- AACC Funding and Grants*
Opportunities available through the American Association of Community Colleges
- ACS Committee on Corporation Associates Seed Grants
Starter grants that can be used for educational programs
- NSF Advanced Technological Education Program (ATE)*
Funding for partnerships that focus on the education of technicians in STEM fields
- NSF Data-Intensive Research to Improve Teaching and Learning - An Ideas Lab to Foster Transformative Approaches to Teaching and Learning*
Funding for both grants and a workshop to support transformative ideas in education
- NSF Math and Science Partnerships (MSP)*
Funding to support partnerships among institutions of higher education, local K-12 school systems, and their supporting partners that develop and implement pioneering ways of advancing mathematics and science education for students.
- NSF Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program*
Funding to support scholarships for STEM students who commit to becoming educators at high-need K-12 institutions
- NSF S-STEM Program*
Funding for institutions to provide scholarships to students in STEM fields
- NSF STEM Expansion Program (STEP)*
Funding for programs that increase the number of degrees awarded in STEM fields
- NSF Transforming Undergraduate Education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (TUES)*
Funding for projects to improve education in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields
- NSF Tribal Colleges and Universities Program (TCUP)*
Funding for Tribal Colleges and Universities, Alaska Native-serving institutions, and Native Hawaiian-serving institutions to promote high quality science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, research, and outreach.
- NSF Widening Implementation & Demonstration of Evidence Based Reforms (WIDER)*
Funding to support implementation of chemical education research to improve STEM education
Funding for travel and professional development
- Dorothy and Moses Passer Education Fund
Supports the professional development of educators at two- and four-year institutions
- ACS Leadership Development System Scholarship Program
Scholarships to participate in facilitated ACS Leadership Development™ courses
- ACS Local Sections
Many local sections provide travel grants for their members. Contact your local section for more information.
- ACS Technical Divisions
Many technical divisions provide travel grants for their members. Contact your local section for more information.
Directories and databases
Advice for Grant-Writing
- Debunking some myths about grant writing*
Advice on grant-writing, published in The Chronicle of Higher Education in 2003
- Fundamentals of Effective Scientific Writing – Manuscripts and Grants
Recording, transcript, and presentation from this Feb. 2011 ACS Webinar™ featuring Kristin Sainani, Clinical Assistant Professor with Health Research and Policy, Stanford University
- Critical Elements of Competitive NSF reports*
Overview of how to find the right NSF grant and develop a competitive proposal, presented at the 199th Two-Year College Chemistry Consortium Conference
- NSF Grant Proposal Guide*
Guidelines for preparing a proposal to NSF
- NSF grant-writing webinar recordings*
Recordings of webinars on preparing proposals for NSF Math and Science Partnerships (MSP) grants
- NSF proposal preparation FAQ*
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document on proposal preparation and awards administration, released by NSF in January 2013
*This resource is available outside of ACS and is provided for informational use only. Listing of a product or service on this website does not constitute an endorsement by ACS.
Have an opportunity or resource that should be added to this list? Email 2YColleges@acs.org.