ACS Student Chapter Reports
Student chapter reports give chapters an opportunity to inform ACS about their activities throughout the year and become eligible for a Student Chapter Award. These reports are viewed by faculty advisors from across the nation, who then provides feedback on how to make the chapter more successful. To remain active, a chapter must submit a report at least once every three years. (Currently this system is only being used for chapters in the United States and Puerto Rico.)
How to submit a chapter report:
- Locate your ACS member login information to access Student Chapters Online. If you are not an ACS member, you can sign up here.
- Login to www.studentchaptersonline.acs.org.
- Update your chapter information, enter in events, and answer questions to build your report.
- You will need to submit a budget for the year. You can download a template here.
Chapter Report Criteria and Considerations
Dont forget to:
- Submit a completed chapter report form on or before May 25, 2016.
- Enter officers and make updates as needed.
- Ensure that your chapter has at least six paid members with an ACS ID number.
- Ensure that you do not list a member’s participation in independent activities. For example, if a member donates blood on his or her own, that is not considered chapter activity. However, if your chapter sends students to donate blood on behalf of the chapter, then it is a chapter activity.
- Include samples of supporting documentation, such as meeting announcement flyers and pictures of events or members.
- Indicate which events your chapter planned.
- Check your email for updates, announcements, and reminders about submitting reports and using the Student Chapters Online system throughout the year.
FAQs and Tips
Browser and Technical Recommendations
The website works best with Mozilla Firefox, although should work on every browser. In order to get the best results from the website, we recommend that you clear your cache often and save frequently!
Why can’t I login?
You have to be an active ACS student member or faculty advisor of your chapter to login to Student Chapters Online. If you are a senior who has recently graduated and you cannot login, please contact our office at email@example.com and we will make sure you have access.
What do I do first?
Start by updating your chapter information at the start of the academic year. Under the “Chapter Information” section, add the roles of all your officers, and make sure the faculty advisor listed is correct. If the faculty advisor listed is not correct, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do primary officers have to be ACS members?
Yes, you must select your primary officers from a list of current ACS student members in your chapter. This allows our office to communicate with chapter leaders about important information and deadlines. If you have non-ACS members as part of your chapter you can upload a roster to the first chapter business meeting of the year, but you must have at least 1 primary officer who is an ACS member.
Why does the roster not include all of our members?
If your roster has incorrect information, please send a list of the students you believe are ACS members to email@example.com.
How many of our chapter events should we include in the report?
All of them! Reviewers want to know all the events you are holding throughout the year including chapter business meetings. You should fill out each event with as much detail as you can, preferably right after the event has taken place so the details are fresh in your mind.
How many pictures can I load into the system? Can I upload videos as well?
You are able to upload 5 documents per event listed. If you have more than 5 pictures you would like to include, please include a link to a Dropbox folder or chapter website instead of including pictures in a collage. Links to videos can also be included in the event description text. High quality pictures are preferred, which is greater than 300 DPI.
When is the chapter report due?
The report is due on May 25, 2016 at 5:00 PM EDT. This would be 4:00 PM CDT, 3:00 PM MDT, and 2:00 PM PDT. Please contact our office as soon as possible if you have any difficulties submitting before this deadline.
Will we get an email notification when the report is submitted?
No, you will not get an automatic email notification from the Student Chapters Online website. We will, however, send a notification email to the chapter’s faculty advisors and president a few days after the submission deadline to confirm the report was submitted.