Start/Reactivate a Student Chapter
Do you want to start an ACS Student chapter at your school? Learn how to establish a program that will benefit your peers and support students who want to pursue a career in chemistry.
Start a Student Chapter
Here’s what you need to do to start an ACS student chapter at your school:
- Identify at least 6 student members of the ACS at your school (Contact us, we may be able to help!)
- Identify a faculty member to serve as the chapter faculty advisor. Learn more about faculty advisor roles.
- Complete a charter application form
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws. Bylaws set the basis for your chapter’s mission. See an example of chapter bylaws.
- Email your application and bylaws to: email@example.com or you can mail them to:
American Chemical Society
1155 16th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
Once your application is approved, ACS will grant your school a charter. A charter certificate will be mailed to your faculty advisor or the chair of the nearest ACS local section, who will present the charter to your new ACS student chapter!
How to Stay Active
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report at least once every three years and maintain at least 6 student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, provide suggestions for future activities, and become eligible for a Student Chapter Award.
Tip: Appoint a member as the official record keeper for the year. This person should record and summarize all events to allow for accurate documentation in the chapter report.
Sending regular updates about your chapter is another great way to stay active. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at call 800-227-5558 ext. with any news about new activities, elected officers, faculty advisors, or photos from special events.
Reactivate a Student Chapter
To reinstate a student chapter (a chapter that has not submitted a chapter report for three consecutive years), you must:
Once your reactivation application is approved, you will receive a letter confirming your active status as a Student chapter.
Open a Chapter Bank Account
If your chapter would like to open a bank account, ACS will provide IRS form SS-4, an Employer Identification Number application, and instructions for completing the forms. Email email@example.com or call (800) 227-5558
Benefits of Staying Active
Chapters that stay active can:
- Qualify for chapter awards
- Present posters at ACS national meetings
- Get grants to attend ACS meetings
- Get grant support for community service projects
- Gain opportunities to plan meeting activities and symposia
- Qualify for exclusive ACS contests