Week 30: July 23 – 29 (Archive)
- Emma P. Carr, born 1880, conducted research on ultraviolet spectra of hydrocarbons; first recipient of American Chemical Society's Francis P. Garvan Medal (1937).
- Vladimir Prelog, born 1906, researched stereochemistry of organic molecules and reactions; Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1975).
- William de W. Abney, born 1843, conducted research in photographic chemistry, color photography, and printing.
- Rosalind Franklin, born 1920, conducted research on X-ray crystallography of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA).
- Colgate-Palmolive was incorporated in 1923.
- Isaac Babbitt, born 1799, invented an anti-friction metal (Babbitt Metal).
- Hans Fischer, born 1881, conducted research on haemin, chlorophyll, porphyrins, and other compounds; Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1930).
- James Curtis Booth, born 1810, devised methods for refining gold—silver bullion at the U.S. Mint (Philadelphia, PA).
- Heinz L. Fraenkel-Conrat, born 1910, separated viral RNA from protein and showed that RNA was active agent.