Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry
This annual green chemistry award sponsors the participation of students—from high school through graduate school—to attend an American Chemical Society (ACS) technical meeting, conference, or training program, having a significant green chemistry or sustainability component. Established in 2009 through the Ciba Green Chemistry Student Endowment, this award is intended to expand students’ education in green chemistry through participation at a relevant conference. The award is administered by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® (ACS GCI). The award amount is based on estimated travel expenses, up to $2,000.
How to Apply
Download the application instructions and submit your application by 5:00 p.m. (EDT), October 16, 2015. A single PDF file of the application is preferred. Send via email to email@example.com with “Ciba Travel Award Application – [your last name]” in the subject line.
Points to Keep in Mind
- Students (high school, undergraduates, and graduate students) residing within the US are eligible for this grant.
- The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry. Green chemistry for this purpose is defined as “the discovery and design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances.”
- The student should be prepared to give an oral or poster presentation on his/her interest area during the conference, if feasible, and submit a report to ACS GCI on his/her experience after the conference.
- Applicants are responsible for meeting the abstract deadline dates of the meeting they want to attend
Eligible ACS Conferences
- ACS Regional Meetings in 2015 or 2016
- 251th ACS National Meeting; San Diego, CA; March 13-17, 2016
- 20th Annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference
- 252th ACS National Meeting; Philadelphia, PA; August 21-25, 2016
- Visit www.acs.org/meetings for details about these ACS conferences
A panel of experts selected by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® will judge the applications. This panel might include members of the scientific, educational, industrial, governmental, and environmental communities.
Notification and Award
Notification of the award and award amount will be made on or before November 16, 2015. The award will be mailed as a reimbursement check after the conference takes place. To receive the reimbursement, a 1-page written report and travel expense receipts will be required.