WCC Overcoming Challenges Award
ACS Women Chemists Committee Overcoming Challenges Award
Sponsor: ACS Women Chemists Committee
Purpose: The Overcoming Challenges Award recognizes a female undergraduate for her efforts in overcoming hardship to achieve success in chemistry.
Nature: One award is offered annually. The awardee receives a monetary prize of $250 and up to $1,000 for travel expenses to attend the ACS Fall National Meeting. The awardee is presented with a plaque and recognized at the WCC Luncheon at the fall meeting.
- Applicant must be a female undergraduate currently enrolled in a two-year chemistry-related program or pursuing a major or minor in a four-year chemistry program at a school that does not grant doctorates in chemistry. Applicant must have completed one semester of college-level chemistry.
- Applicant must demonstrate that she has overcome hardships (economic, personal, or academic) in pursuit of her education.
- Applicants are reviewed on: (1) Improvement; (2) Initiative; (3) Successes; and, (4) Grades from the previous two semesters (not cumulative grade point average)
Apply online (PDF documents are preferred)
Applications must be received by April 1.
Application packages must include:
- A letter of request for the award including: full name; address; telephone number; email address; and, explanation of the hardships that the applicant has overcome and her current successes
- One letter of recommendation
- School transcripts
Department of Diversity Programs
1155 Sixteenth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036