Bridging the Gap Nano-Grant for Celebrating IYC 2011
The 63rd General Assembly of the United Nations has proclaimed 2011 as International Year of Chemistry (IYC), under the leadership of UNESCO and the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). IYC 2011 will celebrate the achievements of chemistry and its contributions to the well-being of humankind.
The IYC Managing Committee invites national and international chemical societies and organizations to publicize IYC 2011 through national and regional celebrations of chemistry.
ACS Local Sections are encouraged to join ACS and the worldwide chemistry enterprise in celebrating this historic year in their communities.
The Bridging the Gap Nano-Grant: Celebrating IYC 2011 has been created to aid ACS Local Sections in financing elements of their IYC 2011 celebrations. The award is $500.
ACS Local Sections are encouraged to sponsor an event/project/display that is designed to celebrate IYC 2011. The event/project/display should be based on one or more of the ACS IYC 2011’s quarterly outreach themes:
Environment | Energy | Materials | Health
Some ideas that might be eligible for funding include but are not limited to:
- 2011 Chemists Celebrate Earth Day or National Chemistry Week celebrations that highlight the applicable quarterly theme, energy or health, respectively.
- A poster display celebrating chemistry’s contributions to improving people’s lives (through one of the quarterly themes) displayed at a local museum or library.
- A presentation/demonstration show at a local K-12 school about chemistry and its contributions to improving people’s lives.
- A table at a local health fair or state fair that showcases one or more of the ACS IYC 2011 outreach themes.
- A local poster contest for area K-12 school children in which students depict chemistry’s connections to their lives.
- An IYC 2011 breakfast or lunch with chemistry students at a local high school.
- A mural on the wall of a local school that celebrates chemistry in the context of IYC 2011 themes.
- A joint IYC 2011 outreach event with an area Student Chapter or High School Chemistry Club.
- A joint local section/division event for your members in celebration of IYC.
- A symposium with an international focus—i.e., worldwide benefits of pharmaceutical research.
- Roundtable discussions for students from various countries talk about how chemistry improves the quality of life in their country.
The deadline has passed.
If you are planning a large-scale IYC event during 2011 and are looking for additional funding, we encourage you to also apply for the Innovative Project Grant (restrictions apply).