Starter Grants for Two-Year Colleges
ACS student chapters are a great way to engage college students of all backgrounds and majors. From outreach to study groups to chemistry-themed events, members participate in a wide range of activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
Two-year and four-year institutions are eligible for $300 starter grants. Starter grants must be used for the development of a new ACS student chapter or the reactivation of a chapter that has been inactive for at least five years. (Although new chapters are encouraged to partner with existing chapters, the starter grants cannot be used to support activities of existing chapters.)
Applications for Spring 2015 must be completed by May 26, 2015, 10:00 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time)
Distribution of awards
Up 20 grants will be distributed in 2015:
- Ten grants will be distributed in Spring 2015 on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Ten grants will be distributed in Fall 2015 on a first-come, first-served basis.
To be eligible, the following requirements must be met:
- The application must be for a two- or four-year institution that has not had an active ACS student chapter in the past five years.
- A faculty advisor must be identified. The faculty advisor can be any faculty member of any rank who is a current ACS member.
- The online application form must be completed.
Note: receipt of a starter grant does not activate your chapter. You must still complete the charter application process in order to become an ACS student chapter.
How to apply for a starter grant
The following information is required for your application:
- Institutional contact information and Employer Identification Number (EIN): the EIN can usually be obtained from your institution’s accounting or fund-raising office.
- Personal and faculty advisor contact information: contact information will be used only for communication regarding the starter grant.
- Your institution’s student club policy
- Proposed budget for starting the ACS student chapter
- Proposed timeline for formation or reactivation of the ACS student chapter
Note: budget and timeline do not need to be detailed, but they should indicate a coherent plan for starting the chapter.
How to apply for an ACS charter
Active ACS student chapters are eligibile for a variety of grants, awards, and professional development opportunities. Starter grant recipients may apply for an ACS charter as soon as they have been notified of the award or once they have met the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of 6 members who are ACS student members
- Have a faculty advisor
- Develop a set of by-laws
- Complete the charter application form
More information can be found at Start/Reactivate a Student Chapter.
For more information on the grants or starting an ACS student chapter, contact the ACS Undergraduate Programs Office (1-800-227-5558, ext. 4565).