Helpful Links: Singapore
Which time zone is Singapore in?
What holidays are observed?
What business hours are held?
What post office/mail/parcel services are available?
How do I address letters to Singapore?
What is the manner of dress in Singapore?
- E-diplomat Singapore etiquette
- Dressing up in Singapore
Are there any etiquette rules that I should be aware of?
Which electrical outlets are used?
Where can I find a list of Singaporean universities?
What scholarships are available to me?
What is the average salary of a professor?
What is the weather like in Singapore?
What is the weather forecast for this week?
What about extreme weather?
Is my driver’s license valid in Singapore?
How can I obtain a Singaporean driver’s license?
How can I obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP)?
Which side of the road do I drive on?
Can I rent a car?
How can I travel around within Singapore?
Where can I find updated safety & travel alerts?
Can you give me an overview of the process to obtain a visa?
What type of visa do I need?
For business and visiting, no visa is needed.
How long is my visa valid for?
Can I get a visa extension?
Am I allowed to work with my visa?
Am I allowed to study on my visa?
What is the cost of a visa?
How long before departure should I apply for my visa?
- Since the visa’s 9-week validity period begins from the issue date, application should be initiated no sooner than 2 months prior to the trip. However, if you are planning to travel in a few months’ time, we will accept your application but will start the application process 2 to 3 weeks before the specified entry date into Singapore. Alternatively, you may choose to state the desired application date yourself.
Can I bring my spouse/children with me?
Can I travel home/internationally while holding my visa?
What customs information do I need to know?
My passport has been lost or stolen, what should I do?
How can I become permanent resident?
Can I bring my pet with me to Singapore?
Can I return home with my pet?
- Traveling with pets from Singapore
Will my medical insurance work in Singapore?
- Check with your provider.
Do I need medical insurance?
Can I bring my prescription medicine into Singapore?
- Healthcare and medications in Singapore
Is my medicine available in Singapore?
My medication has run out, can I refill it with my doctor’s prescription?
What vaccinations and immunizations do I need before traveling to Singapore?
Where can I go in case of a medical emergency?
- Call 995 (fire/ambulance)
- Medical emergencies Singapore
How do I find a doctor?
What is the current exchange rate?
Where can I change my money?
What is required to open a Singaporean bank account?
- Opening a Singapore bank account
- Singapore bank accounts for expats
Can I obtain a Singaporean credit card?
Will my debit/credit card work in Singapore?
Do I have to pay taxes?
What are the average costs of living?
How does tipping work?
How can I make international money transfers?
Which is the best phone service provider?
Will my current phone work in Singapore?
Where can I purchase a SIM card for my phone?
Can I rent a cell phone in Singapore?
What is the country code for Singapore?
How can I call home?
Are there international calling cards available
What about calls/video chatting on the internet?
How do I become a citizen?
What if I get arrested/in trouble with police?
How do I contact the US Embassy/consulate?
How can I contact other expatriates?
Who do I contact in case of an emergency?
- Call the embassy
- Call 995
Are my children eligible to attend public school in Singapore?
What languages are spoken in Singapore?
- The Singaporean Constitution recognizes Malay, English, Chinese, and Tamil as official languages. Malay is the national language and English is the language used in most schools.
Where can I find language resources?
Where can I find a translation service?