Programs in China

Science and Technology (S&T) Information

The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) is a ministry of the government of the People's Republic of China which coordinates science and technology activities in the country. They publish information on S&T statistics and programs and have bi-monthly newsletters.

The Consulate-General at Houston, USA also publishes a ‘China Science and Technology Newsletter’ which can be accessed on their website.

The 2006 National Medium to Long-term Plan for the Development of Science and Technology (2005-2020), MLP for short, serves as a guiding document on innovation policy. According to a report prepared for the U.S-China Economic and Security Review Commission:

More information on the S&T scenario in China can be found on the Chinese Government’s official portal.

Education System

Education in China can be divided into the following stages:

  • Pre-school education for the 3-5 year old children in kindergartens.
  • Primary education for 6-11 year old children.
  • Secondary school for 12-17 year old children. Public secondary schools include junior middle schools and senior middle schools, both for three years of study. Students graduating from junior schools usually go to common senior middle schools while some of them go to vocational high schools or secondary professional schools for 3-5 years of studying.
  • Higher education includes vocational college students, undergraduates, postgraduates and doctoral students at universities, colleges, institutes and vocational colleges.

Visa Information

According to the website for the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in USA, Chinese visas are primarily of four types:

  • Diplomatic visa
  • Courtesy visa
  • Service visa
  • Ordinary visa, including:
    - Tourist Visa (L Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen who comes to China for a short stay for tourism, family visit, or other personal affairs.
    - Business Visa (F Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen invited to China for a visit, research, lecture, business, exchanges in the fields of science, technology or culture, advanced study, or internship for a period of no more than 6 months.
    - Student Visa (X Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen coming to China for study or internship for a period of more than 6 months.
    - Work Visa (Z Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen (and his/her accompanying spouse and minor children) coming to China for commercial performances or academic exchanges.
    - Crew Visa (C Visa)
    Issued to a crew member of an international train, airliner, or vessel who is a foreign citizen and comes to China for business.
    - Journalist Visas (J-1, J-2 Visa)
    - Transit Visa (G Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen in transit through China on his/her way to a third country or region and staying at a Chinese airport for more than 24 hours or needing to leave the airport.
    - Permanent Resident Visa (D Visa)
    Issued to a foreign citizen authorized to reside permanently in China.

For more details, refer to the nearest Embassy of the People’s Republic of China.

Fast Facts

  • ACS currently has 1050 members with ties to China.
  • The ACS renewed its Memorandum of Understanding with the Chinese Chemical Society at the Spring 2013 National Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana.
  • The ACS Chinese microsite was launched in November 2012 as part of the Society’s effort to better participate in global conversations happening in Mandarin Chinese surrounding Chemistry.