Programs in Japan

Science and Technology (S&T) information

Japan’s S&T administration operates under the basic policies of the Council for Science and Technology Policy (CSTP), chaired by the Prime Minister. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) plans and formulates basic policies concerning S&T policy, produces concrete plans concerning promotion and research and development (R&D) and coordinates with related government agencies in relation to promotion of S&T. The National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) is a national research institution that engages in the Japanese government’s science and technology policy-planning process. NISTEP publishes quarterly reviews of S&T trends.

Some other resources for information on Japanese S&T initiatives are:

Education System

The Japanese Education System can be divided into the stages listed below.

Kindergartens (Yochien)

Cater to children aged 3 years and above

Elementary Schools (Shogakko)

All children above the age of 6 are required to attend elementary school for six years.

Lower Secondary Schools (Chugakko)

After completing elementary school, children are required to study in lower secondary school for three years until they reach the age of 15.

Upper Secondary Schools (Koto-gakko)

Those who have completed nine-year compulsory education in elementary and lower secondary school may go on to upper secondary school. Students must normally take entrance examinations to enter upper secondary school.

Secondary Schools (Chuto-kyoiku-gakko)

In April 1999, a new type of six-year secondary education school, called "Secondary School" was introduced. Secondary schools combine lower and upper secondary school education in order to provide lower secondary education and upper secondary general and specialized education through 6 years.

Schools for Special Needs Education (Tokubetsu-Shien-gakko)

Institutions of Higher Education

These include:

  • Universities (Daigaku) offer courses of at least four years leading to a bachelor's degree (Gakushi). Universities may set up a graduate school offering advanced studies in a variety of fields leading to master's (Shushi) and doctor's (Hakushi) degrees. Graduate schools normally last five years, consisting of the first two-year courses leading to a master's degree and the following three year courses leading to a doctor's degree. However, there is a possibility for those who are especially successful in their studies to get a master's degree in one year, and a doctor's degree in two years.
  • Junior Colleges (Tanki-daigaku) offer two- or three- year programs in different fields of study, which lead to the title of associate (Jun-gakushi).
  • Colleges of Technology (Koto-senmon-gakko)
  • Specialized Training Colleges (Senshu-gakko) and Miscellaneous Schools (Kakushu-gakko)

To know more details and access a visual depiction of the school system, refer to the website of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and technology- Japan.

Visa Information

According to FAQ’s posted on the website for the Embassy of Japan in the USA, Japan has 7 kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of visit. The visa types below permit work during the stay in Japan:

  1. Diplomatic Visa
  2. Official Visa
  3. Working Visa:
  • Professor
  • Artist
  • Religious Activities
  • Journalist
  • Investor/ Business Manager
  • Legal/ Accounting Services
  • Medical Services
  • Researcher
  • Instructor
  • Engineer
  • Specialist in Humanities/International Services
  • Intracompany Transferee
  • Entertainer
  • Skilled Labor

The following visa types do not permit working during the stay in Japan:

  1. Temporary Visitors Visa
  2. Transit Visa
  3. General Visa
  • Cultural Activities
  • College Student
  • Precollege Student
  • Trainee
  • Dependent
  1. The category of Specified Visa – Designated Activities may/ may not allow working in Japan depending on the contents of the individual permit.

Citizens of some countries do not need a visa for short term stay. For more details, refer to the nearest Japanese Consulate.

Fast Facts

  • ACS currently has over 4,500 members representing the country of Japan
  • Both Japan and the ACS share an affiliation with the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies (FACS), a federation of 28 chemical societies of countries and territories in the Asia Pacific.
  • Over 38 Japanese scientific entities from Japan will be present at the 2015 Pacifichem conference