Programs in the US

Science and Technology Information

The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) leads interagency efforts to develop and implement sound science and technology policies and budgets, and works with the private sector, state and local governments, the science and higher education communities, and other nations toward this end.

A list of scientific and technical agencies, information centers, and federal research policy councils can be found on the US Government’s official web portal. Some resources for finding information on USA’s S&T initiatives are:

Education System

According to the US Department of Education, early childhood education is followed by primary school (called elementary school in the United States), middle school, secondary school (called high school in the United States), and then postsecondary (tertiary) education. Postsecondary education includes non-degree programs that lead to certificates and diplomas plus six degree levels: associate, bachelor, first professional, master, advanced intermediate, and research doctorate. The U.S. system does not offer a second or higher doctorate, but does offer post doctorate research programs. Adult and continuing education, plus special education, cut across all educational levels.

Visa Information

Many citizens from Visa Waiver Program countries can travel to the USA without a visa if they meet certain requirements. To know more, refer to the Visa Waiver Program section of the Travel.State.Gov website- a service provided by the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

There are various types of nonimmigrant visas for temporary visitors to travel to the U.S. The purpose of travel and other facts will determine the type of visa required under U.S. immigration law.

  • Chart of visa types
  • Country-specific information for Americans travelling abroad