ACS/GDCh Collaboration Alliance
C& EN Article
The American Chemical Society (ACS) and the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh) entered a three-year collaboration alliance, in recognition of the importance of the cooperation between the German / U.S. chemical communities in scientific, educational and public outreach projects. The strategic focus of this alliance is to communicate to the public the value of chemistry and the role that it plays in addressing global challenges. The alliance also serves to identify and support other mutually beneficial services to ACS and GDCh members.
Elements of the ACS/GDCh partnership include:
- Continuation of efforts to secure external funding and organize joint activities in support of the Chemical Sciences and Society Symposium (CS3), the International Research Experiences for Undergraduates project (IREU/RISE), and the Transatlantic Frontiers of Chemistry (TFOC); Young Chemists Exchange Program (GDCh/NESACS)
- Development of joint face-to-face and web-based activities, events and programs to enhance the public image of chemistry in the U.S., Germany and Europe, including development of an action plan for the creation of a legislator education and exchange program;
- Resource sharing of secondary-level green chemistry educational materials;
- Promotion of career opportunities for chemists and chemical engineers in the US and Germany; ACS Virtual Career Fair
- Provision of ACS and GDCh short-course registrations at member rates;
- Development of a pilot green chemistry summer school for US and German chemistry graduate students and/or participation of German students in the existing ACS Summer School program in place with Latin American nations;
- Development of an action plan for joint contributions to International Year of Chemistry 2011 and beyond
About the GDCh
The Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker is the largest chemical society in continental Europe with members from academy, industry and other areas. The GDCh supports chemistry in teaching, research and application and promotes the understanding of chemistry in the public. The society, a registered charity, was founded in 1949 but builds on a long tradition that began in 1867 when its first predecessor organization, the Deutsche Chemische Gesellschaft was founded in Berlin.