ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable
In 2005, the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® and global pharmaceutical corporations developed the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable to encourage innovation while catalyzing the integration of green chemistry and green engineering in the pharmaceutical industry. The activities of the Roundtable reflect its member's shared belief that the pursuit of green chemistry and engineering is imperative for business and environmental sustainability.
New Publication: Sustainable Chromotography (an oxymoron?)
Tool Released: Convergent Process Mass Intensity Tool
New Presentation: Filling Gaps During Carbon Footprint Studies to Design Green Pharmaceuticals
ACS GCIPR's mission is to catalyze the implementation of green chemistry and green engineering in the global pharmaceutical industry.
- Inform and Influence the Research Agenda
- Tools for Innovation
- Education Resource
- Global Collaboration
Member companies who are part of the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable come together to catalyze innovative approaches to improving process efficiency and product quality through green chemistry and engineering. By working together, the Roundtable provides leadership and influence throughout the industry and supply chain. For example, the Pharmaceutical Roundtable has awarded over $1.3 million dollars in funding to further key research priorities for greener chemistries. In addition, the Roundtable continues to develop a valuable set of tools including a solvent selection guide, Process Mass Intensity/LCA calculator, and a powerful reagent guide.
The ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable invites all corporations meeting the definition of membership to consider joining. Companies are encouraged to join if they are committed to the integration of green chemistry and green engineering into the business of drug discovery and production.
Find out more about Membership
The ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable is dedicated to developing high quality green chemistry tools for Roundtable members as well as the public.
Publicly Accessable Tools
- Solvent Selection Guide
- Process Mass Intensity Calculation Tool and
- Convergent Process Mass Instensity Tool and presentation
Member Only Tools
- Product Mass Intensity - Life Cycle Analysis (PMI-LCA) Tool
- Reagant Guide
For more information, see the Green Chemistry Tools page
The ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable is a frequent and influential publisher. For example, "Key green chemistry research areas—a perspective from pharmaceutical manufacturers" published in Green Chemistry in 2007 has received over 283 citations. The Roundtable's most recent papers, including published research funded by the Roundtables, are:
- Sustainable Chromatography (an oxymoron?), Emily A. Peterson, Barry Dillon, Izzat T. Raheem, Paul Richardson, Daniel Richter, Rachel Schmidt, and Helen F. Sneedon, Green Chemistry, July 14, 2014 (web), DOI: 10.1039/C4GC00615A
- Nickel-Catalyzed Suzuki-Miyaura Cross-Coupling in a Green Alcohol Solvent for an Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Laboratory, Liana Hie, Jonah J. Chang, and Neil K. Garg, J. Chem. Ed., September 5, 2014 (web), DOI: 10.1021/ed500158p
- 2013 Year in Review Highlights recent accomplishments of the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable.
For a complete list, see Publications.
Members of the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable actively share research, tools, and perspectives at scientific conferences and industry seminars. Below are a selection of past presentations:
- ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable's New Convergent Process Mass Intensity Calculator
- Filling Gaps During Carbon Footprint Studies to Design Green Pharmaceuticals
- Collaboration to Deliver a Solvent Selection Guide to the Industry
- Key Green Chemistry Research Areas: A Perspective from Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Lessons Learned Through Measuring Green Chemistry Performance
To participate in the ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable, or for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 872-6102.