Green Chemistry ACS Student Chapters
What is an ACS Student Chapter?
ACS student chapters are organizations for undergraduate chemical science majors. Members participate in a wide range of programs and activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
More about ACS Student Chapters
Why Go Green?
Chapters who engage in at least three green chemistry outreach and educational activities during the school year are eligible to win a Green Chemistry Student Chapter Award.
- Recognition at ACS National Meetings
- Information on green chemistry travel awards and scholarship opportunities
- Complimentary copies of green chemistry educational materials on request
- Connections to faculty engaged in green chemistry research
What qualifies as a green chemistry activity?
Watch this short video to see what qualifies as a green chemistry activity for your ACS Student Chapter.
"How To" Guides for ACS Student Chapter Activities
These guides, designed for students, provide in-depth instructions on conducting green chemistry activities. Student chapters are encouraged to think creatively about their activities, but are invited to make use of the examples provided.
ACS Student Chapters may be recognized as a green chemistry chapter by engaging in at least three green chemistry activities during the academic year.
The Chapter Report serves as the basis for awarding "green" status to student chapters. Green chemistry activities may be documented in the annual report through minutes, announcements, photographs, and/or newsletters.
- Park, stream, road or other clean-up
- Recycling drive
- Water monitoring Reusing materials from past reports
- Earth Day celebration without green chemistry component specified
- Any activity with only one member involved
- Attending three talks by home university professors
- General sustainability practices, (e.g. using biodegradable coffee filters)
- Most movie screenings (especially when only linked to climate change without a chemistry context)
- Outreach activities or demos with no green chemistry component
But it’s about more than just winning an award...
By incorporating green chemistry into your student chapter’s activities you can:
- Be a spokesperson for green chemistry’s role in providing innovative solutions
- Start a movement towards a sustainable future through green chemistry outreach
- Have a positive impact on human health, the environment & the future
- Gain valuable skills and perspectives that will be competitive in chemistry careers
Green Chemistry Student Chapters are encouraged to apply for an Innovative Activities Grant to support green chemistry activities in research and community-oriented activities.