Online Educational Resources for Green Chemistry & Engineering
For anyone trying to teach or learn more about green chemistry, the following websites may be of interest. There are tools to help in the lab, curriculum ideas for teachers, local government resources, and online networks to help you connect with like-minded scientists.
Teaching Tools and Ideas
- ACS GCI Green Chemistry Pocket Guides: Download pocket guides on the principles of green chemistry.
- Greener Education Materials for Chemists (GEMs): A database developed by the University of Oregon to be a comprehensive resource of education materials. Find (and contribute) laboratory exercises, lecture materials, course syllabi, and multimedia content that illustrate chemical concepts important for green chemistry. University level materials
- Beyond Benign: In this comprehensive website focused on green chemistry education you can find resources, curriculum, studies, & programs for kindergarten through 12th grade science as well as university and professional level.
- MIT's Green Alternatives Wizard: An online tool from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's department of Environment, Health, & Safety on alternative chemicals and processes to use in the lab.
- Molecular Design Research Network [MoDRN]: A comprehensive database of tested tools for students and educators on high school and undergraduate level which focus on green chemistry and safer design of chemicals. Materials can be dowloaded and incorporated into any biology, chemistry on environmental science classroom.
- iSustain: An online tool that provides a methodology to generate a sustainability-based score for chemical products and processes.
- The New England Consortium: Training manuals, instruction guides, and posters from the University of Massachusetts Lowell Center for Health Promotion and Research.
- University of Scranton: Green chemistry teaching modules can be downloaded for incorporation into courses. Modules for general, organic, inorganic, environmental, polymer, and industrial chemistry, plus biochemistry and chemical toxicology.
- Green Chemistry Education Network: An online network of educators collaborating, mentoring, facilitating professional growth, and fostering the integration of green chemistry in education. Facilitated through the University of Oregon.
Activities and Experiments (by grade level)
|Green Chemistry Test Bank||X|
|Bleaching With Green Oxidation Chemistry||X||X||X|
|Tree Ornament Crossword Puzzle||X|
|Cleaning Up With Atom Economy||X||X|
|Determination of the Fundamental Electronic Charge
|Fuel Cells: Energy From Gases Instead of Gasoline
|Gassing Up Without Air Pollution||X|
|Green Chemistry: A Greener Clean||X||X||X|
|Green Chemistry Interactive Displays||X||X|