General information about local sections (history, websites, volunteer opportunities, etc.)
About Local Sections National Meeting Activities
Local Sections help chemists stay active and involved in their communities by providing a forum for networking and collaboration and by supporting chemists’ efforts to educate their community about chemistry. Local Section officers steer the course of their section. Use the tools below as a resource!
National Meeting Host Local Section are an important part of the team:
• Recruit volunteers to staff the hospitality booth and assist during meeting.
– Volunteers assist meeting attendees by providing information on:
• recommended places to see and eat in their city
• the national meeting program and session locations
• tourist attractions
• city directions
• promotion of local section activities
• general set up and support
– The booth will be equipped with computers and reference materials provided by the city’s Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Examples of Host Location Section Activities & Mementos:
• Regional Figure/Character (Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia)
• Samples of local treats such as Philly Cheese steaks (Philadelphia)
• Ghirardelli chocolates and fortune cookies (San Francisco)
• Periodic table refrigerator magnets (Chicago)
• Unique regional merchandise such as Mardi Gras Beads, cups, masks
(New Orleans, LA)
• Organizing lap car rides on the Indy 500 Motorway, checkered flags
• Hosting a reception for a selected group (various cities)
If you are interested in learning more about Local Sections National Meeting planning please contact the ACS Meetings & Expositions team at
ACS Presentations on Demand. Explore cutting-edge research anytime, anywhere from presentations at ACS National Meetings.