Each year, the ACS hosts two of the most respected and influential meetings within the scientific community, bringing together more than 20,000 chemistry professionals and students from across the globe. While these annual meetings play a vital role in advancing the chemical industry each year, we also realize that these meetings have real impacts on our planet and communities that must be mitigated.
Take advantage of linen reuse initiatives at your hotel, decline delivery of unread newspapers, and turn off the lights when away from your hotel room.
Use the meeting mobile app and digital program instead of the printed Onsite Program.
When walking isn't an option, use the ACS carbon-offset shuttle service.
Responsibly dispose of recyclable materials (paper, plastic, glass, aluminum) in the convention center and hotels.
Enjoy the city, burn calories, and travel carbon dioxide-neutral by walking to and from your hotel.
Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid the cost and waste associated with disposable, petroleum-based plastic water bottles.
- Hotels. For 2012, we have partnered with Clean the World. The organization collects soap and bottled amenities from ACS hotels and recycles them. The recycled soap will be donated to families in developing countries, helping to save lives by preventing the spread of deadly diseases.
- Reduced Shuttle Footprint. We’ve consolidated hotel pick up routes, use alternative fuel shuttle buses, and offset all shuttle emissions with our shuttle partner, TMS, through the Carbon Fund.
- Sustainable Signage. We reduce printing by using existing digital and directional signage, and using reusable ACS easel boards.
- Zero Waste Awareness. We have designated our Sci-Mix Poster Session a Zero Waste Event. The event is designed to only produce compostable and recyclable waste, which recycling volunteers help attendees to place in the appropriate receptacles to achieve high diversion.
- Reduced Printing. We work to strategically reduce printing and paper use by strategically determining the print quantities of our meeting program. In 2011, we launched the first electronic version of the program.
- Reduced Food Waste. We work with our convention center to donate all usable food and leftover materials for the betterment of the local community.
ACS Wins 2011 Green Leader Award
The Capital Chapter of the Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) recognized ACS national meetings for measurably reducing it environmental impact and contribution towards improving the meetings industry and its communities.
For our 2011 Annual Meetings, the ACS published its first Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Sustainability Report - the most widely used sustainability reporting framework in the world. The report uses the newly released GRI Event Organizers Sector Supplement.