Indy Sustainability Infographic: Text Version
ACS Is Leading the Way to Sustainable Meetings
5 easy ways you can help make this a greener meeting:
1. Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid the cost and waste associated with disposable, petroleum-based plastic water bottles.
- 4 Billion...
That's the number of PET bottles that end up in the U.S. waste stream each year, costing cities some $70 million in cleanup and landfill costs.
2. Responsibly dispose of recyclable materials (paper, plastic, glass, aluminum) in the convention center and hotels.
- 250 Million...
The number of tons of waste Americans generated in 2010. Only 34.1% of that waste was recylced or composted.
Source: EPA Solid Waste Generation, Recycling, and Disposal in the United States: Facts and Figures for 2010
3. Take advantage of linen initiatives at your hotel, decline delivery of newspapers you won't read, and turn off the lights when away from your hotel room
- 6 to 8 Gallons...
The amount of water required to launder a set of bedsheets. A towel set (bath, hand, and face) requires an additional 6 to 8 gallons.
Source: Alliance for Water Efficiency
4. Enjoy the city, burn calories, and travel carbon dioxide-neutral by walking to and from your hotel room.
- 0.5 Miles...
84% of official ACS hotels lie within this distance of the convention center, allowing you to burn 65-244 calories walking to and from your hotel.
Source: Based on Ainsworth BE, et al. 2011 compendium of physical activities: A second update of codes and MET values, Medicine & Scinece in Sports & Exercise, 2011;43:1575. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109
5. When walking isn't an option, use the ACS carbon-offset shuttle service.
- 142 Tons...
The number of tons of CO2e that were offset through Carbonfund.org in 2012.
Source: 2012 ACS National Meetings & Expositions Sustainability Report
Learn more at www.acs.org/greenermeetings!