Responsibilities of Program Chairs
Call for Papers
- Develops the technical program with Symposium Organizers and enters it into the Call for Papers template as oral and poster symposia.
- Designates symposia as accepting either contributed or only invited papers.
- Returns the Call for Papers template to ACS Staff for importing to MAPS prior to author submission.
Session Management (cooperatively with Symposium Organizers)
- Reviews abstracts and accepts or rejects them.
- Creates sessions as needed to accommodate the submitted abstracts.
- Arranges the accepted abstracts into sessions.
- Assigns each abstract an order within the session.
- Assigns each presentation a duration.
- Inserts non-paper events (e.g., introductory or closing remarks) in the session.
- Schedules selected high-quality abstracts into Sci-Mix in accordance with the restrictions on the number of Sci-Mix presentations (a maximum of 20 or 10% of total number of accepted papers for the division, whichever is larger).
Finalize Technical Program
- Arranges sessions by AM, PM, or EVE and assigns the appropriate section letter (A, B, C …) to each session, consistent with Even Programming Rules.
- Submits MS Office templates containing the preliminary program to ACS.
- Arranges for non-technical events such as coffee breaks, social receptions associated with award presentations or poster sessions, and committee rooms.
- Any member of the division executive committee has the authority to make non-technical event requests.
- In most divisions, the program chair makes the arrangements associated with the technical program, and the division chair makes the committee room requests associated with governance functions.
- Symposium organizers must always ask the acting program chair to make event requests pertaining to the technical sessions.
- Registers sponsored speakers—if the division wishes to pay for the sponsored speaker registration fees.
- At the time registration opens, the ACS MAPS Staff Administrator sends the current program chairs and treasurers password access to the Division Guest Registration site.
- Using the password they can register non-member sponsored speakers at a special one-day registration rate or member/non-member sponsored speakers at the prevailing member/non-member registration rate.
- Symposium organizers must always ask the program chair to make these special registrations.