Prepare Yourself to Talk about Federal Science Funding at Risk
What You Need to Know
In March 2013, the U.S. took a cut of nearly 1 trillion dollars over 10 years to federal financing. This cut, called sequestration, has dramatically reduced federal support for basic scientific research and development.
ACS Public Affairs Director's Message Videos
Videos about the future of U.S. scientific research and innovation from Glenn Ruskin, Director, ACS Office of Public Affairs.
What You Can Do
Contact your representatives and local media to stress the need to sustain predictable federal scientific investment to enable long-term economic growth.
- Emphasize how federal investment in science & technology (S&T) pays important dividends. Share how federal agencies have funded your research and helped shape your career. In simple, lay terms give examples of how your research has led to important discoveries.
- Explain that while we understand the economic climate is difficult, sustained federal investment in R&D and STEM education is critical to growing the economy and enhancing U.S. competitiveness.
- Augment your message with examples.
Support Making the R&D Tax Credit Permanent
Talk about Funding in Action
Examples of scientific advancements aided by federal investments
Thar Technologies CEO on the importance of federal support for innovation
Capturing methane for energy before it pollutes our air
The Juanes Research Group works to harvest a potent greenhouse gas for energy before it is released into the air.
Making personalized medicine more reliable
A NIST team is developing reliability standards for DNA sequencing to improve patient-tailored healthcare.
Developing standards for medical imaging technologies
Dr. Karam’s team is developing precise quantitation standards for medical imaging technologies like PET scans.
- Cellular printing using laser technology to create tissue and organ models
- Fundamental research leads to development of drug innovations to treat cancer, leukemia, and malaria
- Improving energy efficiency of combustion engines
- Super-resolution chemical imaging advances drug discovery and creating new materials
- Congress Completes Work on 2013 Spending Bill, Jeffrey Mervis, Science Insider, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- The America That Works, The Economist
- U.S. Inventiveness at Highest Point Since Industrial Revolution, Patrick Thibodeau, Computerworld
- Eroding Our Foundation: Sequestration, R&D, Innovation and U.S. Economic Growth, Robert D. Atkinson and Justin Hicks, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
- “Lubell: Lessons From the Cliffhanger,” Mike Lubell, CQ RollCal
- “Hutchison: Keep investing in science and technology,” former Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Austin Statesman
- “America Speaks” , Research!America
- Council on Competitiveness – Publications
- National Academies of Science Press
- Council for Chemical Research
- NEWScience Policy