Strengthen Science Education and the Scientific Workforce
ACS Policy Priority
America needs scientific and engineering professionals. To equip today’s students with the skills to fill the technical jobs of tomorrow, we must improve science and mathematics education at the K-12, community college, undergraduate, and graduate levels. We also need to encourage talented people to enter science and engineering fields. Workforce policies must respond to the challenges and opportunities posed by an aging demographic, a more diverse workforce, and major shifts in employment practices. ACS supports efforts to
- Enable lifelong, strong, inquiry-based science education for everyone in both formal and informal settings to improve the scientific understanding of all our citizens.
- Strengthen the quality of teaching through increased partnership and support of pre- and in-service training of educators from the kindergarten through the graduate school levels.
- Encourage the best and the brightest to pursue scientific careers, particularly more women, underrepresented minorities, and people with disabilities.
- Enhance the ability of all scientists and engineers to bring specific technical talents to the U.S. workforce.
- Strengthen professional opportunities and employment-related incentives for science and engineering practitioners.
|Science Education Policies||Supports modernizing learning environments and encourages student research. Supports strengthening STEM teacher education programs.|
|Healthcare Policy||Supports access to affordable, quality healthcare for all Americans and sets out broad principles intended to guide policy on current healthcare options.|
|Importance of Hands-on Laboratory Activities||Computer simulations that mimic laboratory procedures have the potential to be a useful supplement to student hands-on activities, but not a substitute for them.|
|Retirement Security||Urges Congress to reduce the regulatory complexity of 401(k) plans available to small business owners and promote faster vesting and more portable plans.|
|Employment Non-Discrimination||Recommends federal legislation to extend employment discrimination protection to include sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity.|
|Teaching of Evolution||Supports teaching of evolution and opposes alternate, non-scientific theories. Urges states and localities to support high-quality science standards and curricula.|