Chemistry Champions Contest
Watch and vote for the winner of ChemChamps 2015!
Our four finalists Dave, Erica, Hadi and Tierra will compete for the ChemChamps crown in Boston this August. At each of the events, you can vote via SMS text or via the web - but only if you attend in person Aug 15-17 or tune into the livestream on Aug 17!
Get free tickets to the Finals, August 17, 7pm, in Boston, MA.
Four Performances to Watch
Date: Saturday, August 15, 12:30pm
Location: Museum of Science, Boston, MA
The finalists will each present a 3 minute talk on stage! If you're still hungry for more chemistry on stage, stay for the Amazing Nano Brothers at 1pm or 3pm!
Note: Attendees are responsible for gaining their own admission to the Museum.
Date: Sunday, August 16, 8:00pm
Location: 250th ACS National Meeting & Exposition
The finalists will each present a 3 minute talk in the ACS Theatre on the Expo floor. After the presentations, the first 50 attendees will receive a small gift card. (Register for the ACS National Meeting.) Our honorary MC will be 2014 ChemChamps winner Dr. Jennifer Novotney.
Date: From now until 7pm EDT, August 17
Location: YouTube! - The most viewed video wins the first installment.
- Dave: Will Synthetic Vitmanins Make Me Explode?
- Erica: How Cyanine Dyes Glow in the Dark
- Hadi: Why are polyelectrolytes so important?
- Tierra: Solar Energy: Bon Appetit!
Date: Monday, August 17, 7:00pm
Location: District Hall, Boston, MA, (doors 6:30pm) and via livestream
The ChemChamps final live performance of a 3 minute talk. Vote for the winner live in person or watch the live stream.
Livestream - Mon, Aug 17, 7:00pm
Adding into the votes will be 3 professional science communicators, who will provide live commentary after each talk.
- Julie Fooshee, Science Festival Alliance at MIT Museum
- Stephen Lyons, independent science filmmaker based in Boston
- Dr. Kiki Sanford, host of This Week in Science
Attendees can meet these science communications experts in person! Tickets at http://bit.ly/ChCh2015tix
The overall winner will be announced by the program end (expected by 8pm EDT) via Twitter.
*Follow #chemchamps on Twitter.
- Guarantee of up to $1000 USD for roundtrip transportation to Washington, DC
- June 21-23 (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) night hotel accommodation
- Guarantee of up to $1000 USD for roundtrip transportation to Boston, MA
- August 14-17 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday) night hotel accommodation
- host an ACS Webinar
Grand Prize Winner!
- trip to Washington, DC to network with professional science communications staff at ACS and possibly attend a briefing on Capitol Hill
- host an ACS Reactions video
- join the National Academy of Sciences' Science & Entertainment Exchange
- the 3D-printed Chemistry Champions trophy
- Entry is open to all ACS Members who are also Younger Chemists on any calendar day in 2015
- birthdate on or after January 2, 1979
- All Semifinalists must be ACS members with a membership expiration after September 1, 2015.
- Entrants must complete, sign, and submit a Contest Release Form
Follow the Finalists on Twitter!
Use #chemchamps to cheer on the Finalists and share their videos with others. The number of views could help any of the four Finalists win the Grand Prize!
New to Twitter? Check out Getting Started with Twitter.