Committee on Chemical Safety
Welcome to the Committee on Chemical Safety (CCS)! This section highlights the Committee's activities and provides administrative resources for its members. Our primary activities include:
- Publication of standards, tools, and other materials for use in classrooms, laboratories, and the workplace
- Development of safety policy statements for the ACS Board of Directors
- Providing advice and assistance to other ACS committees and members
- Presentation and sponsorship of symposia
Current Projects and Announcements
- CCS commends revisions to the policy statement, Safety in The Chemistry Enterprise, which has been updated for 2019-2022.
- Watch Working in the Lab Alone? (August 2019) to learn about safety requirements, scenarios and precautions when working in a lab by yourself.
- Use this new Safety Rubric to identify suitable chemical demonstration videos for secondary students.
- Read the new 2019 Safety Summit Findings.
- Teach your students/community: The Flame Test: A Safer Version of the "Rainbow Demonstration"
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Spring 2020 National Meeting
Philadelphia, PA | March 22 - 26
The Spring 2020 National Meeting has been canceled Due to COVID-19 - More Information
- Fall 2020 National Meeting
San Francisco, CA | August 16 - 20
To promote and advance positive safety cultures by providing authoritative resources.
A culture that results in all chemical practitioners working safely.