Safety Advisory Panel
The CCS Safety Advisory Panel serves as a technical environmnental, health, and safety resource for the Committee and ACS as a whole in addressing emerging and complex chemical safety and regulatory issues on an as needed basis. It identifies avenues for the ACS to address these issues; provides expert guidance in developing reports and in responding to environmental, health, and safety questions that extend beyond those for which ACS guidance is available; and works with other ACS responsible parties in preparing draft ACS responses to EHS regulatory concerns that arise. The Panel meets once a year to respond to CCS requests for assistance, to identify emerging issues, and to establish project plans that support the ACS in responding to those issues.
Influence legislation and regulation
- Monitor federal and state law- and rule-making.
- Help legislative representatives and regulators understand laboratories’ concerns during the legislative and regulatory process.
- Establish and maintain contact with legislative representatives, regulators and trade groups to promote ideas for wise legislation and regulation.
Inform laboratory professionals to help them understand and comply with EHS regulations.
- Inform ACS members about pending federal law- and rule-making through written articles, internet postings and presentations.
- Write, or encourage regulators to write, tailored guidance documents to assist laboratory professionals in there understanding of and compliance with EHS regulations.
- Develop and present seminars, training sessions, or posters at relevant national meetings.
Inspire good laboratory EHS management practices
- Monitor laboratory practices with an eye to new activities that promote safety and environmental stewardship.
- Disseminate information about such practices to the laboratory community via publications, symposia, and the Internet.