Committee on Ethics
What We Do
The Committee on Ethics seeks to:
- Coordinate the ethics-related activities of the Society, serve as an educational resource and clearinghouse, but not as an adjudication body, for ACS members seeking guidance on ethics issues;
- Raise awareness of ethics issues through meeting programming, columns, and editorials;
- Review recognition opportunities for acknowledging ethical behavior;
- Develop and oversee such other ethics-related activities as will serve ACS members and promote the Society's standards of ethical conduct within the profession of chemistry and its related disciplines;
- Provide and promote resources and activities that educate, guide, and recognize chemists in ethical decision-making.
- Develop and disseminate five educational projects for use by local sections.
- Develop collaborative programming on ethics with other groups, both inside and outside of ACS.
- Increase the members’ recognition of ethics in their careers and its impact on society.
- Leading a culture of ethics in chemistry.
Who We Are
- ACS Ethical & Professional Guidelines
- Committee Monograph – The Importance of Ethical Conduct in Scientific Research (PDF)
Other ACS Committees Offering Ethical Guidance
Call 1-800-227-5558 or send an email if you have questions or need more information about the Committee on Ethics.