Committee on International Activities
What We Do
The 15-member Joint Board-Council Committee on International Activities (IAC) was established by action of the ACS Board of Directors on June 27, 1962, and was upgraded in 1974 to a joint Board-Council Committee. The IAC is responsible for studying and recommending appropriate Society participation and cooperation in international undertakings pertaining to chemical education, professional activities, and scientific matters of interest to chemists and chemical engineers, and coordinating its efforts with those of other organizations.
The mission of the Committee on International Activities is enabling diverse communities of chemical practitioners worldwide to achieve their goals.
Better chemistry through global communities
- By 2022, develop a sustainable support system for ACS International Chapters to enhance access to opportunities, resources, networks and training.
- Collaborate with chemical communities worldwide on implementing the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Be an effective advocate and champion for international members and for the growth of chapters.
Who We Are
Our subcommittees provide IAC members, associates and consultants an important space to discuss and formulate plans for the committee in these changing conditions. In essence, they serve to identify where and how on a regional basis IAC needs to channel it talents, networks and resources.
Collectively and individually, the aim of the IAC Subcommittees is to:
- Develop cooperative programs
- Advance the goals of ACS
- Identify common values, to connect and collaborate with counterparts
- Support and maintain liaisons with sister societies and partner organizations
- Serve as an informational clearinghouse for member-serving opportunities (especially for younger chemists)
IAC Leadership Team:
- The Americas (North, Central and South America and the Caribbean) - Chair, Dr. Jorge Colón
- Europe (Western, Central, and Eastern Europe) - Chair, Dr. Csaba Janaky
- Asia Pacific Basin (including East, South, and Southeast Asia and Australia) - Chair, Dr. David Wu
- Africa/Middle East (North, Central, Eastern, and Sub-Saharan Africa; Arabian Gulf, including Turkey) - Chair, Dr. Tim Hanks
- Strategic Planning Chair– Dr. Resa Kelly
Send an email if you have questions or need more information about the Committee on International Activities.