Committee on Nominations and Elections
What We Do
The primary purpose of the Committee on Nominations and Elections is to oversee the nomination and elections process for selecting ACS Officers. ACS Members submit names to the committee that should be considered for potential nominees for President, the Board of Directors, and members of the Council’s elected committees. The committee is committed to selecting from among the broad diversity of the membership candidates who can provide quality leadership.
Who We Are
The committee is composed of fifteen voting Councilors elected by Council, and is responsible for the following:
- Receiving suggestions of persons who should be considered when selecting proposed nominees for Society offices; receiving proposals for nomination by Councilor petition; and receiving nominating petitions from ACS members.
- Preparing slates of nominees for District Directors and President-Elect, and of candidates for Director-at-Large, together with a summary of the qualifications of those named.
- Supervising all Society elections.
- Receiving and reviewing credentials of Councilors and determining eligibility for admittance to Council meetings, and conducting elections in the Council.
- Serving as an election appeals board for all Local Section or Division elections when there is reason to believe that significant election procedure violations have occurred.
As the need arises N&E will form subcommittees or working groups to facilitate the work of the committee. Currently, there are three.
- Subcommittee on Preferential Voting. This subcommittee is reviewing the Balloting and Preferential Voting Procedures and proposing any needed revisions for full committee endorsement and Council approval.
- Subcommittee on Operational Guidelines. This is collecting and documenting N&E internal, operational guidelines. This includes updating the N&E Operations Manual, as well as extracting committee operations decisions from past meeting minutes to be formalized in the manual. Proposals for any substantial revisions will be brought before the full committee for endorsement.
- Subcommittee on N&E Standing Rules. This subcommittee is reviewing the Standing Rules on Elections Functions contained in the ACS Governing Documents. Targeted implementation of substantial content or process changes is Fall 2021.
- National Elections
- Duties and Skills Sets for Officers and Elected Committees
- Campaign Guidelines
- ACS Guidelines on Campaigning and Communication
- FAQs on ACS Guidelines on Campaigning and Communication (PDF)
- ACS Governing Documents: See Bylaw III, Sec. 2, d. (4), Sec, 6; and Standing Rule IV.
Send an email if you have questions or need more information about the Committee on Nominations and Elections.
Flint H. Lewis, Secretary and General Counsel, Staff Liaison | (202) 872-4461
Frank Walworth, Assistant Staff Liaison | (202) 872-6070
JoAnn Rhodes, Committee Administrator | (202) 872-4569