National Chemical Technician Award
The National Chemical Technician Award honors excellence and professionalism among technicians, operators, analysts, and other applied chemical technology professionals.
Winners receive $1,000 and a plaque. The award is presented at a reception at the ACS Spring national meeting. Travel expenses for the winner.
Nominees must be currently employed as a chemical technician, process operator, laboratory analyst or other applied chemical technology professional and have been employed in the field for a minimum of five years. Nominees do not need to be an ACS member. Members of the Executive Board or Advocacy & Public Relations Subcommittee of the ACS Committee on Technician Affairs are not eligible.
Nominations are judged primarily on technical achievement, leadership, mentoring, communications/publications, awards, community activities, and contributions to quality, safety, and other initiatives.
Nominations - Apply Online
Nomination packets must contain at least a completedand one letter of recommendation. (If the candidate has been nominated within the past three years, the may be used.)
Other materials may be included. Please see the online application form for more information.
For more advice on completing the nomination, please see “Tips for Submitting an Effective NCTA Nomination” below.
Nomination packets must be received by September 30 to be considered for the following year. (For example, nominations for 2017 are due by September 30, 2016.)
Administration and Sponsorship
The National Chemical Technician Award is administered by the ACS Committee on Technician Affairs (CTA). CTA sincerely thanks the Dow Chemical Company and 2009 ACS President Tom Lane for their sponsorship of this award.
Tips for Submitting an Effective NCTA Nomination
- Be sure to include all required information including the letter of recommendation.
- Specifically address each criterion on the form.
- Include confirmation that the nominee is eligible for the award.
- Quantify impact whenever possible. For example, “Increased through-put by 30%,” as opposed to “Improved process efficiency.”
- Provide the nominee’s full address. This is especially important when forwarding local award winners. For example, use, “Earl N. Meyer, Lab Chemical Corporation, 1234 Main St., Town, ST 12345,” instead of “Earl Meyer, C042B1”.
- See Example 1 and Example 2 for properly completed nomination forms. Please note that although the design and layout of the online form differs from the examples which are based off of the older nomination forms, all requested content remains the same.
- Use the online application. While we will accept legacy nomination form submissions, we ask that you submit them by following the directions in the online form.
- Do not send anything marked proprietary or confidential. It will be disqualified. Make sure all information, like report titles etc. is cleared for release outside your company.
- Do not list titles of all papers, presentations, or other communications. Simply provide the total numbers of each, and use the space provided to provide a few examples.