National Chemical Technician Award
The National Chemical Technician Award honors excellence and professionalism among technicians, operators, analysts, and other applied chemical technology professionals.
Winners receive $1,000 and a plaque. The award is presented at an honorary dinner at the ACS Spring national meeting. Travel expenses for the winner and a guest are reimbursed.
Nominees must be currently employed as a chemical technician, process operator, laboratory analyst or other applied chemical technology professional and have been employed in the field for a minimum of five years. Nominees do not need to be an ACS member. Members of the Executive Board or Advocacy & Public Relations Subcommittee of the ACS Committee on Technician Affairs are not eligible.
Nominations are judged primarily on technical achievement (60%). Other criteria that are considered include leadership, mentoring, communications/publications, awards, community activities, and contributions to quality, safety, and other initiatives.
Nomination packets must contain at least a completed nomination form electronically! (If the candidate has been nominated within the past three years, the should be used.) Other materials may be included.and one letter of recommendation. You may also fill out your
The entire nomination packet must not exceed six single-sided pages (10 point font) in length. For more advice on completing the nomination, please see “Tips for Submitting an Effective NCTA Nomination” below.
Nomination packets must be received by September 30 to be considered for the following year. (For example, nominations for 2015 are due by September 30, 2014.)
Submit packets to:
Victoria Fuentes, Staff Liaison
ACS Committee on Technician Affairs
American Chemical Society
1155 Sixteenth St., NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 1-800-227-5558, ext. 4524 (office)
Fax: 202-872-4353 (fax)
Administration and Sponsorship
The National Chemical Technician Award is administered by the ACS Committee on Technician Affairs (CTA). CTA sincerely thanks the Dow Chemical Company and 2009 ACS President Tom Lane for their sponsorship of this award.
For more information, contact the CTA staff liaison 202-872-4524 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for Submitting an Effective NCTA Nomination
- Include completed nomination form or re-nomination form and at least one letter of recommendation from someone familiar with the candidate’s work.
- Specifically address each criterion on the form.
- Include confirmation that the nominee is eligible for the award.
- Quantify impact whenever possible. For example, “Increased through-put by 30%,” as opposed to “Improved process efficiency.”
- Provide the nominee’s full address. This is especially important when forwarding local award winners. For example, use, “Earl N. Meyer, Lab Chemical Corporation, 1234 Main St., Town, ST 12345,” instead of “Earl Meyer, C042B1”.
- Attach pages with paper or binder clips, instead of staples.
- See Example 1 and Example 2 for properly completed nomination forms
- Do not exceed the six-page packet limit. The completed packet, including recommendation letters, must not exceed six single-sided, single-spaced pages. Do not use any font smaller than 10 point.
- Do not send anything marked proprietary or confidential. It will be disqualified. Make sure all information, like report titles etc. is cleared for release outside your company.
- Do not use double-sided copies in your nomination packet.
- Do not list titles of papers, presentations, or other communications. Simply provide the total numbers of each.