ACS President: Wilder D. Bancroft (1867-1953)
Served as President: 1910
Founded the Journal of Physical Chemistry so there would be a journal in this country that was appropriate for his and his students papers
Considered a pioneer American physical chemist
- Ph. D., 1892, University of Leipzig
- Instructor, chemistry, Harvard University, 1893 - 85
- Professor, chemistry, Cornell University, professor, 1895 - 1937
- Research Interests: theory of contact catalysis, reversible coagulation in living tissue, chemistry of proteins
- Wrote Applied Colloid Chemistry and Contact Catalysis
- Performed pioneer work on emulsions
Major Awards and Honors:
Service to Science:
- President, Electrochemical Society, 1905 & 1919
Did you know
. . . that one of his studies was on the cause of blue eyes and blue feathers?
. . . that during WWI he was a Lt. Colonel in the Chemical Warfare Service?