Sweet Science: Having Fun with Candy Chemistry
October 16, 2014
From soft crack to hard ball to cotton candy, you can make a lot of different styles of candy with sucrose. Have you ever wondered about the science and chemical reactions that occur when making your favorite sugary treats? Join Dr. Rich Hartel and celebrate National Chemistry Week by exploring the sweet side of chemistry.
*Access to this recording is an exclusive benefit for ACS Members.
What You Will Learn
- What does a candy thermometer tell us about boiling point elevation?
- How the different states that sugar can take in candy affect your perception.
- How “doctors” are used in making candy.
- And much more…
Sweeten Your Viewing Experience
- Tootsie Rolls
- Jolly Ranchers
- Caramel - Werthers original chewy preferred
- Peeps (or ghosts or cats)
The Fine Print
ACS Webinars® does not endorse any products or services. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the American Chemical Society.