It's probably the only brand of glass that you know by name. Join Timothy Gross as he explains the chemistry that made Corning the number one name in glass for portable electronics. Learn the basics of glass chemistry and ion-exchange strengthening as well as the damage resistance of ion-exchanged Corning® Gorilla® Glass in terms of fracture mechanics.
Dig Deeper with C&EN
- iPad: Pushing the Limits of Materials
- Material innovations on the exterior of our devices bring new functionalities
- Chemically tailored glass makes cell phone screens tough and scratch resistant
- Polymer-based solar cells show promise as low-cost electricity generators for cell phones and other devices
- Electronics makers try out new liquid-crystal display materials to make our gadgets lightweight and efficient
What You Will Learn
- The basics of glass chemistry and structure.
- Ion-exchange strengthening of alkali containing glasses.
- Fracture mechanics and the damage resistance of Corning® Gorilla® Glass.
The Fine Print
ACS Webinars® does not endorse any products or services. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the American Chemical Society.