Riding the Wave of Green Chemistry: How to Enhance Awareness of Plastics in the Ocean
Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 2-3 pm ET
Plastics permeate every aspect of our society. Although, students and the public recognize their many benefits, reports of their alarming buildup in our oceans and resulting harm to aquatic life is a topic that resonates with all.
Join Jane Wissinger of University of Minnesota and Reuben Hudson of Colby College in a free interactive webinar for Chemists Celebrate Earth Week. During this special broadcast, Jane and Reuben will bring awareness to the accumulation of plastics in our oceans, highlight outreach and curriculum materials that teach polymer basics, and feature innovative ideas by chemists who apply green principles to develop more sustainable materials.
What You Will Learn
- Accessible resources which convey the magnitude of plastics in our oceans and the negative consequences on marine life
- Hands-on activities and experiments which model polymeric materials made from renewable feedstocks and designed for degradation (K-12, outreach and college level)
- Survey results illustrating how the shared implemented experiments increased awareness of plastics in the ocean and how scientists are addressing the problem
- "How We Can Keep Plastics Out of Our Ocean" - Short Video by National Geographic
- "What Really Happens to the Plastic You Throw Away" - TED Ed Talk by Emma Bryce
- "Midway, a Plastic Island" - Short Video with CNN's Nick Paton Walsh
Benefits of Membership
- ACS Webinars Archive: Every one of our 200+ past webinars available on demand
- Save Money: Members receive discounts on meetings, development courses and more!
- Access to SciFinder®: Members receive 25 complimentary SciFinder® research activities per year
The Fine Print
ACS Webinars® does not endorse any products or services. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the American Chemical Society.