Chemistry Rocks! Exploring the Chemistry of Rocks and Minerals
We are surrounded by rocks and minerals everywhere... in the ground we walk on, the places we work and live, and even in the food we eat. How are chemists experimenting with these fundamental materials to help the world and make our lives better? As a host you will gather a group for a live interactive broadcast where you and your attendees will have the opportunity to network with young chemists across the world on social media, participate in discussion and activities, and ask questions live to the experts regarding the amazing work that is being done in rock and mineral science.
What Your Group Will Learn
- How can we use minerals to improve the quality of life
- What is the structural chemistry of various gemstones
- What is biomineralization and how can it inspire sustainable and novel building materials
- How mineralizing carbon dioxide can make an impact on the future of climate change
- What is the energy-water-food nexus and why do minerals matter
- What are extremophiles and how does their biochemistry allow them to thrive in extreme environments
- What are some potential future careers in rock and mineral chemistry
What is ACS Program-in-a-Box?
ACS Program-in-a-Box is the easiest event you'll ever host because "it's all in the box." With very little effort (acquire the space and gather the crowd), you can host an energetic science event that engages chemistry students and early career chemists.
With Support From
ACS Program-in-a-Box™ is an exclusive benefit for ACS Local Sections, Technical Divisions, and Student Chapters. Due to international shipping restrictions, physical box kits can be sent to the United States, Canada, and US territories. Please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to receive an ACS Program-in-a-Box™ from outside these shipping locations.
Not an ACS Local Section, Technical Division, or Student Chapter? That’s okay! We want chemists to join the party and connect with each other. We’ll send you a “digital box” to download handouts included in the physical box for you to print and share with your attendees. We can also help you use ACS Program-in-a-Box™ to start your Student Chapter, or get your Local Section or Student Chapter back into an active status, so next time you’ll see an ACS Program-in-a-Box™ on your doorstep!"
ACS Program-in-a-Box™ does not endorse any products or services. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the American Chemical Society.