The Role of Chemistry in Global Security
February 9, 2016 @ 7:00pm
In an increasingly dangerous world, find out how important chemistry is to ensuring your everyday safety. Journey through the history of chemical and biological warfare and get a peek behind-the-scenes at how today’s biochemists and government agents are working together to counter chemical-based threats.
What You Will Learn
- A brief history and the influence that chemistry has played in the evolution of chemical and biological weapons
- How atmospheric transport and dispersion modeling and molecular biology are combined to create systems to detect a bio-aerosol attack like Anthrax
- Real Life Scenarios: How the science community and the various government organizations interact to determine if events are natural, accidental or deliberate and coordinate a response
- New UV detection technology that is currently being developed to keep the public safe during airport travel
Flyers & Handouts
More Resources on Global Security
- C&EN Special Coverage “100 Years of Chemical Weapons”
Online special articles and chemical weapons quiz
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons: OPCW Fact Sheets
- Origins of the Chemical Weapons Convention and OPCW
- What is a chemical weapon?
- Three types of inspections
- Eliminating chemical weapons and chemical weapons production facilities
- NIH CounterACT Program
Countermeasures against chemical threats
- Article in the Journal of Chemical Education by Jessica Epstein
Weapons of Mass Destruction: It Is All about Chemistry
The Fine Print
ACS Webinars® does not endorse any products or services. The views expressed in this presentation are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the American Chemical Society.