FAQs: Preparing for the ACS Leadership Institute
What is the ACS Leadership Institute?
- The Leadership Institute is an annual invitation-only conference where ACS leaders come together to learn both management and leadership skills to enable them to be successful leaders within the American Chemical Society.
- Concurrent Sessions have been developed for the following groups of leaders: Division Leaders, Local Section Leaders, New National Committee Chairs, and Younger Chemists Leaders.
What is the goal of the Institute?
The goal of the Leadership Institute is to support and enhance the creation of ACS leaders. Attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Learn their new volunteer role responsibilities;
- Share best practices;
- Develop leadership and management skills;
- Foster new peer-to-peer networks;
- Understand the ACS structure and operations; and
- Identify key support contacts.
When and where is the Institute?
- January 25-27, 2019
- Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center (2450 Galleria Pkwy, Atlanta, GA 30339).
- The Institute begins Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. and ends Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
- On-site check-in will open at 10:00 a.m. on Friday morning, January 25.
How do I register for the Institute, reserve my hotel room, and make travel arrangements?
- Online registration for the Leadership Institute will open by November 15, 2018. Visit this page for updates.
- On-site check-in will open January 25 at 10:00 a.m.
- ACS Leadership Development System course descriptions will provide an overview of some of the courses being offered during the Institute.
- When registering, you will be asked to submit your housing requirements (and any food restrictions). ACS will reserve all hotel rooms and provide you with a hotel confirmation number. Please do not contact the hotel directly.
- If you need to make changes to your registration or housing request contact email@example.com.
- Attendees are responsible for making his/her own air travel arrangements to arrive/depart from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL).
- Attendees are responsible for his/her transfer to the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel. ACS will provide return shuttle service to the airport on Sunday morning.
What tracks are offered at the Leadership Institute?
Delegates register for one of four tracks. The content in each track is tailored to meet the specific needs of each group. Track content is designed to prepare leaders by covering the “nuts & bolts” training needed to effectively manage their groups.
What is the Leadership Development System?
- The ACS Leadership Development System ® (ACS LDS) is a comprehensive set of facilitated and e-learning leadership courses that were developed to help ACS leaders be more effective in their professional and volunteer positions.
- All Leadership Institute attendees should take the prerequisite ACS and You course before coming to the Institute. This is an online course and explains the mission, vision, and structure of the American Chemical Society.
How do I determine which leadership courses are right for me?
- Review the course descriptions to determine which courses are best for your leadership development
- Choose two 4-hour leadership courses or the 8-hour Extraordinary Leader Workshop unless your session leaders have already pre-arranged for you to be in specific course.
Who will I meet during the ACS Leadership Institute?
- Members of the ACS Presidential Succession
- Members of the ACS Board of Directors
- ACS Local Section Leaders
- ACS Division Leaders & Program Chairs
- National Committee Chairs
- Student Leaders
- Younger Chemist Leaders
- ACS Staff
What should I wear and what materials should I bring to the Institute?
- The attire for the weekend is business casual.
- All course and track materials will be provided during each session.