January 20-22, 2023
ACS Leadership Institute
This exciting weekend will feature track-based training
and development as well as all-attendee sessions
and networking events.
What is the ACS Leadership Institute?
The Leadership Institute is an annual invitation-only conference where ACS leaders come together to learn both management and leadership skills to enable them to be successful leaders within the American Chemical Society.
ACS Leadership Institute will promote ongoing learning, development, and training for ACS volunteer leaders throughout the year. This exciting weekend will feature track-based training and development as well as all-attendee sessions and networking events. The in-person weekend event will be held in Atlanta, Georgia, on January 20-22, 2023.
Vaccination is mandatory for attendance at the 2023 Leadership Institute. Participants will be required to upload their vaccination cards upon registration.
Foundational and advanced leadership development courses will be offered virtually in April and June 2023 and will promote ongoing engagement across tracks. Track refreshers, occurring virtually in April, May, June, and September 2023 will allow for ongoing engagement within each track.
Concurrent Sessions have been developed for the following groups of leaders: Division Leaders, Local Section Leaders, New National Committee Chairs, and Younger Chemists Leaders.
What is the goal of the Institute?
The goal of the Leadership Institute is to support and enhance the creation of ACS leaders. Attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Learn their new volunteer role responsibilities;
- Share best practices;
- Develop leadership and management skills;
- Foster new peer-to-peer networks;
- Understand the ACS structure and operations; and
- Identify key support contacts.
What tracks are offered at the Leadership Institute?
Delegates register for one of four tracks. The content in each track is tailored to meet the specific needs of each group. Track content is designed to prepare leaders by covering the “nuts & bolts” training needed to effectively manage their groups.
How do I determine which leadership courses are right for me?
- Review the course descriptions to determine which courses are best for your leadership development
- Choose two 4-hour leadership courses or the 8-hour Extraordinary Leader Workshop unless your session leaders have already pre-arranged for you to be in specific course.
What is the Leadership Development Program?
- The ACS Leadership Development Program (ACS LDP) is a comprehensive set of facilitated and e-learning leadership courses that were developed to help ACS leaders be more effective in their professional and volunteer positions.
- All Leadership Institute attendees should view the About ACS document before coming to the Institute. This document, available in the ACS Learning Center, explains the mission, vision, and structure of the American Chemical Society. Attendees should also take the Guidance for Holding Harassment-Free Meetings course before coming to Institute. You will need your ACS ID to access the About ACS document and the Harassment-Free Meetings course.
Who will I meet during the ACS Leadership Institute?
- Members of the ACS Presidential Succession
- Members of the ACS Board of Directors
- ACS Local Section Leaders
- ACS Division Leaders & Program Chairs
- National Committee Chairs
- Student Leaders
- Younger Chemist Leaders
- ACS Staff