Devastating incidents in laboratories remind us that safety requires constant, systematic attention.
“Safety is everyone’s responsibility” is a mantra that sets the tone for safety in an organization. It reflects the safety ethic. It is a simple reminder that safety culture is personal, and that everyone has a role ensuring a safe environment for all.
Building positive attitudes toward safety requires leadership and continual reinforcement of safety’s importance.
Strong safety cultures are seen in organizations that:
- Actively lead and manage safety throughout the organization
- Teach basic laboratory and chemical safety
- Embody safety attitudes, safety awareness, and safety ethics
- Learn from incidents
- Collaborate interactively to build a safety culture
- Promote and communicate safety
- Fund safety programs and supplies
ACS is committed to supporting strong safety cultures in organizations throughout the chemistry enterprise.
The Safety Ethic
I work safely,
prevent at-risk behavior, promote safety, and
accept responsibility for safety.
More on Safety Culture
- Building Strong Safety Cultures
Guidelines for Chemical Laboratory Safety in Academic Institutions
- "Comparing safety culture in industry to academia"
The Safety Zone by C&EN
- Creating Safety Cultures in Academic Institutions
Safety Culture Task Force of the ACS Committee on Chemical Safety
- Downloadable document